Does this look right?

SyA3Turbo

Reaction score
Website
www.dub-life.co.uk
I have been sourcing bits for my brake conversion as i couldnt afford to splah out on an ecs kit (which i would have loved to) I have managed to lay my hands on the discs and calipers so far so i took a pic

brakes1.jpg

Does this look right? To me it doesnt look like ill be making full use of the disc with that caliper? The calipers are boxster s fronts and the discs are golf r32?

loo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gifks dodgy

isnt it supposed to cover the width of the disc to have maximum effiency??

[ QUOTE ]
isnt it supposed to cover the width of the disc to have maximum effiency??

[/ QUOTE ]

wot he said !
your only gonna be using half the disc - therefore, not gaining anything at all except for warped discs on a regular basis!

That's very wrong.
If the pads hang over the edge of the disk, which it looks from the pic like they will, then it's VERY VERY wrong.
Looks like smaller disks are needed. Or get bigger calipers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Simon, doesn't look like the calipers will be any good mate. The GT3 ones are much bigger. I only have about 4-5mm of unused disc left on the inside of the R32 discs.

I have seen Movit machine the inside of the caliper to take a bigger disc sweep, but I would only do this if you really know what your doing.
Whats it like with the pad in there ? Sometimes the pad protrudes out quite a bit from the caliper.
By the looks of those calipers they are only meant to run a 299mmx25-28 disc. See how the balance bar hits the disc before it goes into the disc recess.
You need about a 2mm gap between the disc diameter and caliper when the disc is inserted. To machine them at the top and bottom of the disc sweep you would have to make a new balance bar in a different position.
Very complicated mate. And not straight forward. Possible though.

Chris.

dont look right to me.

i have the 993 bi turbo porker brakes, and my pads cover the whole width of the rotor right up to the last mm by the hub.

Cheers for the input everyone.

I understand what you mean about the machining paul. That sounds like way to much hassle.

I have had the part numbers checked and they are boxster s fronts designed for 318mm discs. Tough decision to make now. I could use a 312mm TT disc or maybe a brembo 322.

Drop down a disc size and keep my wheels or get bigger calipers and wheels? Tough choice!

Chris, Paul - Do any pics of your calipers on the discs i could look at?

I've been using the ECS Stage 2v2 kit for well over a year now with no problems...Uses a 332mm disc with Boxster S callipers. From the look of the pictures, the R32 discs have a large pad area (height) compared to the ECS discs which looks like a bit smaller... I think that is why it looks odd.

Rich

Cheers for the input.

Think im going to drop a disc size and go for the 312 TT disc or the 322 brembo/seat (i think thats the right size) I doubt i would get the Big Reds or GT3 under my rims.