Two questions concerning brakes and rear view mirror

babyaudi

Reaction score
Hi all
Been doing some research in my brakes I have on my a3 it's a 1.8 non turbo on a w plate what size are my front discs as I can't work out from wat I've read if the 280 or 288mm? Want to upgrade as they are bit pants compared to the 312mm I ran on the golf I used to have?
And next question I have a auto dimming rear view mirror that dead and want to replace does a mk4 golf fit? Or does it need to Audi and where can I get one eBay don't seem too have any?

best way is just measure the disc to see what size you got.

my 1.8 non turbo y reg SE has 280mm discs came with 15 inch alloys standard 15 inch wheels won't fit over 288
don't think you can just bolt on bigger carriers to fit larger discs and calipers as the 280 carrier's are part of the hub best bet is to get the struts and hub/disc etc off sport sport model or a turbo better still an S3 front end set up that should fit but someone on here will know for sure

Rob

288 do fit under 15 inch alloys I used to run pepper pots on my mk3 golf Gti and also the standard vw alloys were 15. Looks like I'll be pulling the wheel off to have a look lol

S3 or TT carriers I think will take your disc size up to 312mm.

Not sure on the Mk4 mirror but if you replace it whats the chances of having your faulty one? :)

Dude ur more than welcome to take fault one but why u want it?
I need to find out wat size discs I have first but 312 is the plan. Wud Audi know if I called the wanting to buy parts?

Dude ur more than welcome to take fault one but why u want it?
I need to find out wat size discs I have first but 312 is the plan. Wud Audi know if I called the wanting to buy parts?

I like to take things apart and see how they work.
I'd rather do it with faulty items than working ones. :)

Why do you need to know the size of your current discs?
I would just forget about the current size and look at upgrading to 312mm.

Can I just buy the 312 carriers and calipers and bolt them on though?
I've had it apart it's somehow short itself out!

Correct me if i'm wrong but If they are 280, the 312 upgrade is not a straight swap. As mentioned above more has to be changed. Have a look at the brake thread in the stickies. Also, I think the golf/bora mirror should fit.

Correct me if i'm wrong but If they are 280, the 312 upgrade is not a straight swap. As mentioned above more has to be changed. Have a look at the brake thread in the stickies. Also, I think the golf/bora mirror should fit.

Calipers are different are they?

Reesey wud I need the hubs too as I don't see why? Wen I did the golf I just change carriers and calipiers? Ps dude I pm u sat morning never heard back?

Yes, you'd need the hubs too. The 288 - 312 is a straight upgrade, the 280 is not.

No PM on Sat mate, last I had from you was Friday.