AH FabricationsBadger5
    Reverse Gear

Status

Ok so I need some advice

Hi all, I don't really post here often, but I have reached somewhat of a dilemma.

I currently own an a3, however it has done 135k miles and is developing a few problems.

I have started to look for a new car. The trouble is I can't find a car that makes me want it like the a3 did.

Do I stick with the a3 and use what little funds I have to fix it up, or bite the bullet and go for something else? Possible cheaper to insure etc?

Any advice welcomed

Ta

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    If you love it keep it
    You don't what issues you gonna be buying to next

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

Reverse Gear

Status
    That's is true, I am hoping the problems are all pretty minor, and it won't cost too much to fix. It just seems to be a lot of problems at once.

colicabcadam
    what problems?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well it needs a new maf, power steering pump, and it seems to sway when driving, where It feels like one of the wheels are sometimes goingy in opposite directions? It's kind of hard to explain, I am no mechanic lol. Just a shame I like the car, but all seem to have come at once.

5th Gear

Status
    Thats all relatively cheap to put right

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

colicabcadam
    brand new maf £180, refurbished steering pump £100 (or £30 second hand, but are you sure it just doesn't need fluid?), 4 wheel alignment £100, although it could be a wheel bearing or faulty shock / spring, but again, these parts are cheap to fix
    Last edited by colicabcadam; 16th January 2012 at 00:40.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeah thanks guys, I have had the car for two years now, and I still enjoy it as much as the day I got it, I would hate to part with it. No fluid is fine, it just seems lazy, also you can hear it when idling so bearing has obviously gone.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reebzluke View Post
    Hi all, I don't really post here often, but I have reached somewhat of a dilemma.

I currently own an a3, however it has done 135k miles and is developing a few problems.

I have started to look for a new car. The trouble is I can't find a car that makes me want it like the a3 did.

Do I stick with the a3 and use what little funds I have to fix it up, or bite the bullet and go for something else? Possible cheaper to insure etc?

Any advice welcomed

Ta
    Personally...I'd keep the car. I agree that things are going wrong but, at that mileague, they will. But on a positive, all our relatively cheap to sort when set against cost of sale/exchange/advertising ball ache. My S3 has done £130k but its a fine example of one that's well maintained and that's the key as the residuals are immense in the chassis.

Sometimes in life, it's a case of 'better the the devil you know' and on this premise, you know what you are dealing with.

If you try to pick up something else, who knows what you are getting into bed with!

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

4th Gear

Status
    jesus £180 for a maf, where do you buy yours from harrods.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I agree, it's a 1.6 although not the fastest bodywork is in good nick, but I can't go crazy due to an insurance "disagreement" just over a year ago, which has sent my premium through the roof. It's a great car, but I guess you know how it is when you get Pi$$ed off with continually give away your hard earned.