Narrow to Wideband ECU Conversion

Barks

Reaction score
I will add the pins when i do it on mine.

I have just gone from DBC old M3.8.3 ECU to ME7 DBW so want to get that working correctly first, then add the wires i need for SAI, 2nd Lambda etc and then change the ECU, conversion done

I was planning to to the 'added wires' route, what is your plan for the EGT probe and the VVT?

Ive done this and its pretty easy tbf. I added the relevant cores to my existing engine compartment loom to get the correct lambda sensor plugs and EGT plug. The actual engine loom i just replaced with a good BAM version but that would be easy to convert also, youd have to remember if its for an APY S3 that all wideband ECUs have VVT so youl have to add that also, or get it coded out of the ECU.

Ill get the egt probe welded to manifold probably and resistor out the vvt for now till it can be reliably used to aid spool time

I have got a APY setup at the mo, So if I go for:-

1) AUM lambda side of loom that should cover the egt and lambda probe wiring with a loom swapout.
2) Add a wideband lambda sensor
3) Add a EQT probe
4) Replace ECU with a AUM ECU and recode the clocks
5) Add the additional wiring for the VVT on the engine loom and do a resistor mod.

Would that cover it?? or is there something else?

Thanks

Apart from the AUM doesnt have EGT. Being an ME7.5 it can be coded in if you want it.

Yeh i'd just use a non-EGT ecu, only the 225 engines have it, and its just another thing to go wrong. I've got an AUQ ECU for mine, but a narrowband harness like Mark, so i'll also be adding the pins for the lambda and resistoring the VVT.

Apart from the AUM doesnt have EGT. Being an ME7.5 it can be coded in if you want it.

Ahh.... That might be a good thing... is there much to be gained from the egt probe... other than heat protection?

Ahh.... That might be a good thing... is there much to be gained from the egt probe... other than heat protection?

Yep.... Problems!! Lol the sensor alone is £180ish and theyre known for letting go. If your not bothered then i wouldnt worry about the EGT. The k03 cars manage well without it. As its for tuning purposes it would just be good for your tuner to be aware of rising EGTs when mapping.

Yep.... Problems!! Lol the sensor alone is £180ish and theyre known for letting go. If your not bothered then i wouldnt worry about the EGT. The k03 cars manage well without it. As its for tuning purposes it would just be good for your tuner to be aware of rising EGTs when mapping.

Ha ha! Sounds like it is best not yo bother with the egt then. I haven't got one now!

Aum seems to have 2 lambda probes. Wideband pre cat and narrow post cat Will i end up with issues with a sports cat?

Depends what spec cat you have. The post cat narrowband just wants to see high oxygen levels to check the cat is working. When i fitted an AUQ in my old mk2 golf i just secured the post cat lambda in fresh air until i had it mapped when the coding for the sensor was removed from the map. Im doing the same now, its sat on top of my exhaust manifold! lol.

If you do want to keep it and it causes issues then you can spacer it out of the exhaust gas stream to fool it into keeping quiet

Ah I see, It is a 200 Cell decat,

shouldn't be to much of a problem as is sounds easy to bypass.

Is there a engine version that has single wideband Lambda and no EGT?

Yeh i'd just use a non-EGT ecu, only the 225 engines have it, and its just another thing to go wrong. I've got an AUQ ECU for mine, but a narrowband harness like Mark, so i'll also be adding the pins for the lambda and resistoring the VVT.

So how will you deal with the second Lambda?

What do you guys gain out of doing this ?

What do you guys gain out of doing this ?

The wideband are 'easier' to map as the wideband lambda controls the fueling, like a closed loop circuit therefore you can just request a A/F ratio and the ecu will maintain the fueling and keep it in the sweet spot.

With the narrow band you have to map the fueling up the rev range and engine load, makes it very difficult to maintain the A/F ratio sweet spot.

It depends what extras you want. Maf is direct swap but the wb 02 sensor needs 2 more wires adding and the plug changing. Then it's a case of adding vvt or egt if you are to be equipped. The wiring is pretty easy but the parts not so much.

I know this is an old thread but I have just swapped out my apu narrow band loom and swapped in an awt loom.

I put in the awt ecu and tried to match it to the cluster but to know avail. I noticed the fault codes saying that the injectors were open circuit, all four of them. I then swapped in the apu ecu and disconnected the lamdba sensor to prevent issues as it's wired differently. The same fault codes for the injectors were coming up.

Am I missing something here? The looms have different relays up in the ecu box but I checked both looms and the injector wires come up to the same pin locations.

Please help me.

I have APY engine, what wires to what pins do I need exactly to do to make this conversion?
I bought AWP ecu from golf to use with.

Reactions: Solberg
The whole loom in the engine bay compartment or convert the front lambda from four pin to five pin. You need the pin out wiring diagrams for both engine codes from the respective cars to make the appropriate modifications of placing the fifth wire to the right pin location. Dessertstormer knows where to get them from, I don't unfortunately.