Something that bugs me a little sometimes ( ASN rulebook of how to mod your S3/A3)

AARON77

Reaction score
Was just reading a thread on 8l/8p bumper coversion and imo It's criticism like this that stops ppl from posting on ASN!
I organised a lil gathering at ace cafe last month and I spoke to about half a dozen ppl who would not post pics of there car up in fear of getting ASN raped
(This happens to me regularly but I'm defo thick skinned lol) :)
I know we should be tough and not care about the bad criticism but the way in which some ppl do it, makes it look like there's an ASN rule book of how to or how not to mod your Audi
IMO this keeps ppl away and we just have members lurking in the back ground
I know we can be a tough audience sometimes but from some of the feed back I got at that meet it's not good for our reputation as a forum, I know it's like this on most forums but I look for advice and inspiration on ASN so the more ppl that post the better!

Maybe I'm talking complete Bol*ocks but this is just my opinion based on the story's and feed back that I got froma good few ppl that attended the ace cafe Xmas meet
Some of which had been members for years and knew me and my car, yet I had never heard of them or seen there cars
:-/

Pls post you views on this lads

I think the ole ASN rule book of modding a3/s3's needs launching

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If people post asking opinions, they can hardly cry when they are given them can they.lol

It's nothing to do with rules, no one forces these opinions on members.

Sadly the demographic for " an Audi owner" is probably someone on the more subtle side of the tuning / modding community. It's just how it is

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If people post asking opinions, they can hardly cry when they are given them can they.lol

It's nothing to do with rules, no one forces these opinions on members.

Sadly the demographic for " an Audi owner" is probably someone on the more subtle side of the tuning / modding community. It's just how it is

Your totally rite
But it gets a lil savage sometimes IMO
It's just a shame more ppl aren't thick as thick skinned as others, and it's annoying when you hear that this does keep some ppl away

I'm the complete opposite I can't wait when I've posted for the abuse to start
Think I just like any sort of attention ( issues clearly) :)

Word.

Your car, your money, you should do whatever you like to your motor. What everyone else thinks is a matter of opinion, you don't have to agree with them.

Intresting you say this aaron, as you can probly tell im constantly checking out asn, and have somtimes contemplated not helping out with the bit of knowledge i have, due to somone else commenting on how wrong i am and that i should keep my poo opinions on my forum mechanics, obviousley its not stopped me as im always posting lol but i do somtimes with hold info due to not being 100% sure myself, but like you say its part of being on a forum to get a fresh perspective. There are some very helpfull people on here and i cant say iv seen any idiots, maybe abit of willy waving but a good bunch over all. Ps. Youv defo started somthing with this thread lol

Intresting you say this aaron, as you can probly tell im constantly checking out asn, and have somtimes contemplated not helping out with the bit of knowledge i have, due to somone else commenting on how wrong i am and that i should keep my poo opinions on my forum mechanics, obviousley its not stopped me as im always posting lol but i do somtimes with hold info due to not being 100% sure myself, but like you say its part of being on a forum to get a fresh perspective. There are some very helpfull people on here and i cant say iv seen any idiots, maybe abit of willy waving but a good bunch over all. Ps. Youv defo started somthing with this thread lol

It's just something that has been bugging me since the ace cafe meet
So I thought I'd hop on the ASN couch and get it off my chest
:)

**** it, i just post whatever random ****e comes in to my mind, if im stuck on something, even if i know is stupid ill still post up but like you i am thick skinned haha.

I can see what you mean though mate, and i do agree, you have got issues :). Haha.

I'm too worried what everyone will think to post my opinion in this thread.

I dont think the rule book needs re-writing but peoples way of responding can be the issue most of the time. If you dont like what someone wants to do to there car theres no need to start calling them names or making assumptions as to the kind of person they are for wanting to do certain things to their car. Just say you dont like it and if need be expand on why you dont like the mod in question, nothing else is needed. I know sometimes humour takes place within the replies and as long as the OP understands that its fine, but thats not always the case.

I dont think the rule book needs re-writing but peoples way of responding can be the issue most of the time. If you dont like what someone wants to do to there car theres no need to start calling them names or making assumptions as to the kind of person they are for wanting to do certain things to their car. Just say you dont like it and if need be expand on why you dont like the mod in question, nothing else is needed. I know sometimes humour takes place within the replies and as long as the OP understands that its fine, but thats not always the case.

Exactly that

I find it's the same with every car forum I'm a member of, or have been a member of.

There are always going to be members who prefer it standard, some who like to mess with the engine and some who like to change the looks.

There are always going to be ones who give off if you buy certain parts over others. I've noticed it here as well, to a degree.

I had an S2000 before I bought the S3 and anyone modifying their car with anything other than Spoon, Mugen or any similar 'premium' brand were berated by the rest of the members for ruining a good car. Plenty of the modified owners stopped posting after many build threads turned into full scale arguements between modifiers and those who say it should be left standard.

I personally prefer subtle changes and will post if someone asks for an opinion on something that I personally don't like, but I won't be cheeky about it. It's your car and you can do what you want, but give it plenty of thought lol

Last edited:
Stupid fkn thread......:)

I think when people get ****** is because the same old questions get asked day after day, some are on the same page they are posting on!
The one that gets on my tits is "my car is not running right" then you find out they are running a splitarse...

Its the same on all forums and the same in life, people can't please eveyone and thankfully don't have to.

Stupid fkn thread......:)

I think when people get ****** is because the same old questions get asked day after day, some are on the same page they are posting on!
The one that gets on my tits is "my car is not running right" then you find out they are running a splitarse...

What's the point in being pissy
Don't get pissy just don't post
I wouldn't dream of treating/tlking to ppl on here the way some ppl have/do
And if someone was like this to my face I wouldn't even give them the opportunity to pick a window
But cos it's not formal it seems to be ok ?

I've noticed this at the various shows/events where the ppl that have c*nted my car into the ground have absolutely naff all to say to my face
Funny that hey

I agree, lots of keyboard warriors hidden behind the depths of the Internet.

I haven't been on here long and only post if I think I have something interesting/helpful to say.
Between me and my friend we have noticed a trend on forums, the higher the value the car, the more snide comments you get for doing something different.

I run a forum and have made it private and invite only which has its pro's and con's but it works well and has the best blogs, and POTD thread.

Its always been the case. Its just the internet.

Im new here, recently bought my car, posted it up and asked a few questions (probably which have been covered) and have had no problems :)

Your bang right there, put a nurbergring sticker on a 8p, and show it on the 8p section you have well and truly fluffed it! ...:lmfao:
I spend quite a bit of time on the 8p forum and trust me them boys are pussycats in comparison
Even they say sh*t like
"your lucky your not posting on the 8l forum"

I spend quite a bit of time on the 8p forum and trust me them boys are pussycats in comparison
Even they say sh*t like
"your lucky your not posting on the 8l forum"

Lol

theres always bellends about in life no matter where you go. people that get too opinionated should just be ignored, it is afterall attention they're after so dont give it them.

EDIT: id also like to add that with it being txt format, its not like any expression can be seen or heard so things can be taken out of context than what they were intended. so it may not be snobby or bitter. and thats what you've got to think when reading. keep an open mind, and dont read to much into the way things are said.

Last edited:
just think nothing of what people say on a forum because in real life, out side and not behind a computer screen not may people will say your car is gash for what you have done to it but that's just the internet crack like mentioned above.

one more thing your cars are gash, everything you have done to it is super gay!

haha i joke but your cars are still pants.

every one needs to lighten up and not rage at each other like iv seen a couple of times in threads, i mean like this is a nice place to come and hang out with your wang out. can every body just hug and kiss ....

lets_bee_friends_card-p137030729825049033qi0i_400.jpg

I agree with mk1 chopper. Some peoples 'opinions' go too far at times. Which is not nice if your on the opposite end of it.

Cars are very personal things, and when people blow cash on modifications or evolve their car with respect to 'build threads' the fact they are bothered to turn up and post about it on an internet forum say to me that they want some form of positive recognition for their effort.

What people forget is that when other forum members don't agree or buy into what they're doing, it's not necessarily a personal slight, its just a difference of opinion. Granted the world of modifying cars can be horribly cliquey (and ghey), so when people disagree on something someone tends to take offense. It will often degenerates into a 'your momma' situation as it's rare to find that everyone involved will have a deep rooted emotional intelligence / will care about forum rules / won't care that people have to read their pithy ramblings / someone will be determined not to be seen to lose face.

Forums can be great when people turn up to share well intentioned collaborative ideas which help to fix common issues, build a sense of community, and share a wealth of knowledge and experiences. But like when you put someone in a car (and they think they're bulletproof), put someone behind a computer screen and it can turn a well intentioned person into a 'premium member' if they allow pride to get in the way of good sense.

I've been moderating & working on forums since 2000, and I think across the board they've got worse not just in terms of basic standards, but the way in which people engage each other. I think what people fail to realise is that the decision to join up and stick with a forum can be quite a snap one, and the more that people post inappropriate bull**** or bickering will just turn decent people from joining or staying. Once the good folk **** off any cliques that form will not constitute a place where there is real depth, it's numbers and diversity that makes a forum a great place.

It's an interesting post this. Believe me, if you guys don't like what you read, we unpaid mods have to try and read as much of it as we can to sense check the standards. Repetition..... you cannot imagine!

PS: the 8L brigade are more brutal than us soft ***** 8P'ers UNLESS you carpet your engine bay in blue carpet ;-)

does this mean i can come out and reveal my plans for my car, without being judged?

SWEET!

In which case, im going to make a replica of this... DA DA!

ploddaudi1.jpg

Warren cox what an ace read !!!

And I did read the whole blurpe carpet thread, and yes it was epic lol
But I stick to my guns on this one! I actually think if he'd have posted that over here there would have been total uproar

That is such a funny thread

Im enjoying reading this thread. Ive found this forum reasonably tame (most of the time). I used to frequent a classic audi forum and it used to kick off regularly!

Firstly i like the willingness to help on this forum, especially helping newbies - thats rare in my experience.

I completely agree that there are too many keyboard heroes. Personally i never post anything that i wouldnt say to someones face (but i am a big cheeky northern lad, its in the genes).

Differences in opinion happen - no problem, forums are a perfect place to discuss, but when it dissolves into a serious of personal insults i just dont see the point!

Ive tried saying this before...
There are groups within the 8L section, Some good. most bad
Some follow 1 tuners way and everything else is rubbish.
Truth is there is always more than 1 way to mod a car,
When i started looking at forums about 5 years ago i used to look at loads and hope i never saw my next idea already done or even spoken about before i did it...
On here, 99% of people read the forum first to see whats ok and what is not, Then decide what to do around that.
Ive been to abot 3 or 4 meets/ shows with ASN and have only ever spoke to ... 3 people, Ive tried trust me, But the cliques form, If your not in... your OUT

Personally I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, far more important things to get bothered about in life. If a clique forms that arent interested in broadening their views and can't be bothered to welcome new folk, then I'd be happy not to speak to them.. .but that's just me. :)

What a thread!
This is me all over, 1st post sort of explains it really,
ive been in the background now for a good few years before i even registered used to be on clubpolo and was on here browsing before i stepped up and bought an s3,registerd so i could use the search button lol never had to post a problem because i know how to use the search well enough to find what i need.
ive never posted pics or any of the knolledge and info i do have for fear of being slated maybe that'l change and ill start posting.
people have opinions i know but everyone is different and has there own way of doing things.
i was at the ace cafe meet but parked up outside as i didnt know anyone!apart from the two rs focus's i was with.
1st post over now im off to do a proper intro me n the motor