insurance has dogged me right off

S3featesV9

Reaction score
So i had some plans this month, buy and fit AP coilovers, buy and fit boost gauge, oil/filter/plug service.

but completely forgot about something, car insurace renewal...nice. so just had to spend out £587.

thing that has annoyed me is, the original renewal that came through post was £637. i looked about and couldnt find it cheaper, so thought id ring them and see if thats as good as i'tll be...turns out admiral will do it for £587.

WHY dont they just say £587 in the first place?

also whilst in on about boost gauge, which one is most oem looking, as in red with white needle? i cant fint one anywhere?

Stack boost gauge has a black back with White numbers and needle but if you paint behind the face it gives you red numbers
There's a thread on here about and it's on tuffty's build thread there's also a picture of it in my garage but don't think the lights were on :)

All i have done with mine is wired it off of the head light switch by the steering wheel and the only thing that needs power on the gauge is the backlight :)

So i had some plans this month, buy and fit AP coilovers, buy and fit boost gauge, oil/filter/plug service.

but completely forgot about something, car insurace renewal...nice. so just had to spend out £587.

thing that has annoyed me is, the original renewal that came through post was £637. i looked about and couldnt find it cheaper, so thought id ring them and see if thats as good as i'tll be...turns out admiral will do it for £587.

WHY dont they just say £587 in the first place?

also whilst in on about boost gauge, which one is most oem looking, as in red with white needle? i cant fint one anywhere?

They literally did the same with me, renewal was £663...then I went on moneysupermarket and had some insurance quotes. Elephant.co.uk came out the cheapest at £507, and Elephant are admirals sister company! I rang them up and told them and they matched the price, they are trying to steel this money off us!!

Makes me sick knowing your renewal is less than 2 months of my policy with the same company.

really, how much is your insurance then? im 22 with 4 yrs no claims. last year was nearly 700. so dropped say 120 :))

Hmm, looks abit used and abused bud. Good find though. Think I'll end up going for the stack one if no one else has any other options for me.

I've been with admiral for 4 years now and every year we go through the same thing! They end up giving us a loyalty discount when I phone up to see if I can get it cheap, last year I managed over £350 saving over the renewal quote. Really annoys each year and in 2 months time I'll be having the same conversation again.

I was with Admiral when my car was standard and I used to use the old Elephant trick too. I once did a new quote on the Admiral website that came out cheaper then the renewal they gave me. I told them I might as well cancel my policy and then join up again!!!

Anyway now i'm almost 30 and have a load of mods to declare I'm with Greenlight who are cheaper then Admirals quote for a standard S3!!!

Oh and always add your old dear down as a driver. As long as your doris doesn't have a loads of points and convictions it should bring down the premium a fair whack ;)

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Then they try and sell you breakdown cover, personal cover, car hire, all the other packages.

Which most banks cover you for anyway if you have an advantage gold account etc.

Got my old man and mum on my policy. Not that I'd ever let them drive it.

Haha. My mum hates driving, 15+ years experience...and never, not
Once been motorway. She's one of those ppl that has their nose against the windscreen she sits so close. ****** me off something rotten too. Shouldn't be on the road I tell her!

really, how much is your insurance then? im 22 with 4 yrs no claims. last year was nearly 700. so dropped say 120 :))

19 when i took out the policy now im 20. 1ncb - £3500

On a standard X reg 1.8T

Last edited:
I posted some info on the other thread about insurance quotes. Have a read and hopefully it'll help you

Op. I got my renewal through from admiral £810 multi car policy it was only £475 last year, thought no chance went online to confused.com put in the all my details and could you guess who was the cheapest by almost £250. Admiral, so phoned them and asked why the big difference and was told it was to try and win new customers, I can understand giving people good deals but to take the **** and rip off existing customers I don't think is right surly everyone should get the same treatment and the same deal.