Lock help.

George The Diesel Head

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my A3 a while ago, when I got it, it had 2 keys, one for the doors and another for the ignition. I can only guess the barrel has been changed at some point for some reason.

I also only have one set of keys, which makes getting a spare set both confusing and expensive.

I have seen a few people on ebay selling a complete set of locks; doors, bootlid, ignition switch and glovebox. Complete with 2 key blades.

Here is my question, If I change all the locks and swap the blades on the key that has the transponder in.... can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work??

I could then see about getting another key coded with the other blade fitted.

Thanks in advance
George

if its a flip type key you can just change the blade of the flip key using a small pin punch
otherwise you will have to destroy/damage the old key to do
if you get the lock set with just flip blades then you will have to change the reader coil on the ignition switch

Additionally if you have VCDS its a piece of **** to recode new keys to the car. I done 2 the other week for my A4 and just done another last week for my Fiancee's beetle. (you may also need vag tacho to pull the pin code from the immo if you dont have the wee tag with it on)

Last edited:
if its a flip type key you can just change the blade of the flip key using a small pin punch
otherwise you will have to destroy/damage the old key to do
if you get the lock set with just flip blades then you will have to change the reader coil on the ignition switch

Yeah I have a flip key, so that's fine. Why will I have to change the reader coil?