MAF intermittent?

Steven.c

Auto-Motive Restored Deatail
Reaction score
When i had my car checked over on VAGCom the guy said my MAF came up as intermittent? he said it will be ok until it breaks & not to worry about it at the moment? Is there any signs of how i can tell if theres anything wrong with it because my car seems to be fine?

Also when i first start the car it idles above 1k for about 2 mins then like a light dump noise then goes quiet and sits under 1k. ive found sometimes if i pull off before this goes off the car is all sluggish and can cutout is that due to not letting it sit for a few mins?

cheers
steve

Last edited:
I had the intermittent MAF problem on my S3 many moons ago, you will notice a drop in performance and MPG as a few signs of a failing MAF. Not too sure if you will notice it as much on a 1.8T, but a new MAF seemed to add 20 bhp to my car that was missing which I hadn't noticed.

don't remember them being so expensive, unless there different prices for the s3/a3. I think I paid £50 for mine

MAF from VW = 06A 906 461 MX (X meaning exchange) £85.25 (£104.01inc) ETKA prices.

Wait this is for S3 sorry.

What is your engine code?

I paid £46 from my local motor factor with trades discount, probably won't last as long as genuine one, but I only do 2k miles a year anyways.

When i had my car checked over on VAGCom the guy said my MAF came up as intermittent? he said it will be ok until it breaks & not to worry about it at the moment? Is there any signs of how i can tell if theres anything wrong with it because my car seems to be fine?

Also when i first start the car it idles above 1k for about 2 mins then like a light dump noise then goes quiet and sits under 1k. ive found sometimes if i pull off before this goes off the car is all sluggish and can cutout is that due to not letting it sit for a few mins?

cheers
steve
i just got one for mine for £80 from tps, the second thing you mention sounds like the auto choke?? because mine does the same thing

yeah the auto choke might be it. i was told its normal when it goes off its fine which it is was just trying to make sure. so it doesn't have to be a genuine Bosch one? my engine is a AUM

cheers for the help
steve