Chipped Windscreen

jpeterman

Reaction score
Hello, I'd be grateful for some advice on this matter.

I have an '51 S3, heard a little ping on the windscreen on Saturday, looked over only to see a 2-inch hariline fracture from the edge of the windscreen inwards. Was only doing around 30mph as well.

Never had one of these before, doubt it's covered by the insurance, so just wanted to know if anyone had any idea what sort of money/time I'd be looking at to get it replaced.

What's the danger of just leaving it for the time being?

Thanks for any comments.

Most comprehensive polices covers either free windscreen cover, or you pay a £50 excess to have it replaced. Will not affect your NCD. Don't know on the cost but would hazzard a guess at around £250, maybe cheaper depending where you get it done.

Most insurance policies do include windscreen cover. You'll only need to pay the excess (50-60) and it will not effect your no claims.
Check your policy doc as it'll be on there.
As for leaving it, it is highly likely it will grow. If it's a long crack rather than a chip, you are looking at an mot fail too when you start having them.

i have never had an insurance policy that does not cover windscreen damage. but give your insurance a call to check.

then take it to a recommended windsreen place ASAP.

i say this because if its a small crack (maybe not in your case) they can stop the crack free to you - your insurance company pays. but if the crack grows/or is too big already you will have to pay the excess usually 50/60 quid to have it replaced.

With Privilige and it is covered had to pay a £50.00 excess and does not affect your NCB, best bet is to call to check.

Also I would advise that you check to make the sure the wipers and spray work after the guy changes the screen.

if your lucky/nice some windscreen places will add the cost of your excess to their price so you dont pay anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Thanks folks for the quick and knowledgable responses.

Turns out the insurance (Tesco) will cover it, although there's a £50 excess. I'd almost assumed I'd pay for a full windscreen, so rather than a pain, the £50 is a relief.

Again, many thanks.