Brake Calipers

IrishDave

Reaction score
As some of you know I have been on the hunt for new brakes for quite a while now. At this stage I am getting sick of being out bid on the cupra r sets that have been on ebay etc.
What I want to know is would the likes of Mitsu Evo 7 callipers fit or are there any other calipers out there that will fit into our cars. Yes I know Porsche brakes do but they are not that cheap compared to say cupra r's when you add up carriers, disks, pads and lines. I am looking for a cheaper alternative.
Thanks.

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for a faulty or in need of refurbishment set of 4pot+ calipers to rebuild and see if I can get them to fit.
Also looking for some thats a little bit different but no luck yet.
There is some 3 pot Jag calipers. lol

I've been thinking along these lines also.... the trouble is the money you could waste trying to find a viable solution.... there's plenty of other types of 4 pot calipers out there... even the old Leyland Princess used to have them but it's knowing what could be adapted to fit... here's differnt types on eBay

MG TF MGF 1.8 VVC 160 4 POT AP CALIPERS IDEAL UPGRADE | eBay

Brembo 4 Pot Calipers From Fiat Coupe | eBay

subaru 4 pot calipers | eBay

Jaguar XJS/XJ6/XJ12 front 4pot brake calipers | eBay

I've been thinking along these lines also.... the trouble is the money you could waste trying to find a viable solution.... there's plenty of other types of 4 pot calipers out there... even the old Leyland Princess used to have them but it's knowing what could be adapted to fit... here's differnt types on eBay

MG TF MGF 1.8 VVC 160 4 POT AP CALIPERS IDEAL UPGRADE | eBay

Brembo 4 Pot Calipers From Fiat Coupe | eBay

subaru 4 pot calipers | eBay

Jaguar XJS/XJ6/XJ12 front 4pot brake calipers | eBay

I would think any bolt down caliper would be fine.
You just need to find someone who can make caliper carriers for the calipers and your hubs.
My mate got some made for a set of Austin brakes on to his E46.

My worries about the old Leyland ones are that those cars were quite light by modern standards.... some old Jag 4 pots my be worth looking at

Whatever happens you will need carriers. The carriers for the porka callipers are easier to get hold of then to get custom carriers made for another set of brakes.

I went for Boxster callipers to try and keep the price down in the long run as you can still run the 312mm discs which cost peanuts compared to the 323mm ones needs for the Cupra Rs.

I picked up a pair of callipers for only £180 but by the time you've had them refurbed, and bought lines, pads, and carriers I was looking at around £700-£800! Unfortunately brakes are not a cheap mod.

You're best bet of getting a cheap setup is to win a full brake set that dont require refurbing and come with everything you already need.

Whatever happens you will need carriers. The carriers for the porka callipers are easier to get hold of then to get custom carriers made for another set of brakes.

I went for Boxster callipers to try and keep the price down in the long run as you can still run the 312mm discs which cost peanuts compared to the 323mm ones needs for the Cupra Rs.

I picked up a pair of callipers for only £180 but by the time you've had them refurbed, and bought lines, pads, and carriers I was looking at around £700-£800! Unfortunately brakes are not a cheap mod.

You're best bet of getting a cheap setup is to win a full brake set that dont require refurbing and come with everything you already need.

How much was your carriers?

Your seals was costly right?

you can get seals and dustboots froms here (and more);

Products - PorscheCalipers.co.uk

i have also checked the part numbers on the dustboots on the LCR brembos and they match the dustboots listed for the 36mm and 40mm dustboots on this site. So you can get dustboots and seals for your LCR calipers here too which is good because you can buy a single dustboot if only one is split

What matters is piston area.

Take one half of the caliper, calculate the area of the pistons (pi x r^2) and compare with the area of the stock caliper.

So for instance the LCR Brembos have a 36 and a 40mm piston. this gives:

(3.14*18*18) + (3.14*20*20) = 2273mm^2

Standard caliper has a single 54mm piston:

3.14*27*27 = 2289mm^2

This is why the porsche rears are useless, as they have a piston area of about 1500mm^2

So long as its within a few percent they'll work, assuming you can make them fit the car. Porsche and LCR brembos are radial mount, which makes it fairly easy to sort adaptors for. A lot of the other ones floating around are lug mount, and these arent so easy to sort, as it depends on the position of the lugs as to wether they'll clear the hub casting and wether or not its actually possible to make an adaptor work.

Also be aware that a lot of the older princess/jag calipers are solid steel. These wont be that great as they're adding huge amounts of unsprung weight.

My opinion is the Brembo GT/LCR fits and works, yes they cost a lot, but they are still considered cheap compared to Movit brakes, ECS stage 2v2-stage6 which is ridiculous money, but looks the part. I invested in a pair of DS2500 pads for my Brembos, which are not what I call cheap brake pads, but having used them out on the track, and they are worth every penny!

Cost for me is not really an issue, if I really want to do it then I'll do it.
I prefer the challenge for doing some different and break from the norm.
Thats the fun part, not buying something, bolting it on and going ooooooooo Look i've done the same as every one else. Not that there is any thing wrong with that cause it works and thats just as good.

How about the Forge bolt on kit?. Seems reasonable priced concidering.
...not sure what callipers they use though.