£200 to spend 1.8t

Steven.c

Auto-Motive Restored Deatail
Reaction score
Hi all, i have roughly £200 to spend.
Im a lil stuck on what to go for, i currently have a Split-r, Smoothed airbox, Revo stage one.

I dont know whether to get a Cat-back, FMIC, TIP or a Jetex filter.
What do u think i would benefit from the most, Performance wise?

many thanks
steve

stainless exhaust or fmic mate for definate, although im not sure you'll get a very good one for £200 :( unless you can find a good second had one :)

Badger 5 tip if you've got a k04 turbo'd car (s3) as have seen gains of over 15bhp with these :)

A decat and a TIP will make the most difference to power. A FMIC will just give you more lag and rubbish routing, do the TIP and decat, then the FMIC and then stage two mapping.

sorr out the engine breathing first, so that would be intake and exhuast

SEAT LEON 1.8T SPORT / CUPRA 180 EXHAUST CATBACK | eBay will this system fit? looks well made imo.

cheers
steve

It should fit ok, with some rear bumper cutting. But it won't make you go any faster.

Get a downpipe, if I showed you the restriction that the stock downpipe has you wouldn't believe how terrible it is.

Stock DP -

312043_10150463745910130_709735129_11090268_1318365028_n.jpg

Decent 3" DP (available for £80 with a decat) -

310606_10150463746655130_709735129_11090275_691793176_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: A3AH
Just a question, will the Cat go onto the new dp or is the cat/dp in one when its standard
steve

The downpipe and de-cat are two seperate items, but both have to go on together, you can purchase a downpipe and decat all in one from Ebay for £80. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=190576349573&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=10870918006

resize.eps

As standard the cat is formed into the downpipe in one piece.

Unfortunatly due to the age of your car it needs a cat for an MOT, I have taken early 1.8t's with decats to legitmate MOT's and they have passed emissions.

Not too difficult to get by though, never met an MOT tester who won't overlook the cat for a case of beer.

Last edited:
I've had decats on all of my old cars & had to replace them with a cat everytime MOT comes & the guy is ok when it comes to MOT just wont allow a decat. does it affect fuel consumption much as it did drastically on my old cars?

steve

It does effect it a little bit, but for the way it frees the car up it is 100% worth it. If it is power and driveability you want then a TIP and a de cat is the way forwards, the cat back system will offer no gains at all, because the downpipe is so bad that the flow just isn't strong enough to warrant it. Mine logged an aditional 17GPS of airflow with the decat fitted back on. The previous owner had it stage two mapped with the decat and then ran it with the cat because he wouldn't shop for MOT's. When I refitted the difference was night and day in terms of driving.

My girlfriend has an AUM with a PCV delete, forge 007p, forge TIP, downpipe and decat on an R-Tech stage 1.5 map. In terms of power it reliably pulls 224bhp on every data log. It doesn't have the kick in the teeth power of my stage two, and the turbo runs out of puff at 5000rpm but the low down torque and pull is pretty good. It is as fast as a good stage 1 S3 in terms of performance. She drives it daily and it is just like a standard car to drive, totally smooth and easy going.

I would suggest you find another MOT garage, I have done probably 10 decatted cars at 3/4 different garages over the years. Kwik Fits and Rapid Fits are usually good, because the lads in there usually have modded cars themselves so are pretty helpful.

My car seems to pull well as it is and revs go up quite quickly, Just sometimes it feels like its holding back & some cars dont seem to disappear in my mirror quite quick enough :p what power should i be looking at roughly with these two mods added? i want a S3 slayer ;) :p

My car seems to pull well as it is and revs go up quite quickly, Just sometimes it feels like its holding back & some cars dont seem to disappear in my mirror quite quick enough :p what power should i be looking at roughly with these two mods added? i want a S3 slayer ;) :p

With a TIP and a DP with no boost leaks, on a healthy engine I'd hope to see between 225 and 230, which almost puts you in S3 Slayer territory.

To be an S3 slayer you need to break the 230BHP mark really, which WILL require stage two mapping and an FMIC. Not many people make it to stage 2, because a true stage 2 car is more than power. You need some track spec coilovers, front and rear ARB's, upgraded brakes, VR6 clutch and a whole host of other goodies to make a true stage 2 S3 slayer. You also need to be pre facelift, and have a MASSIVE ego/chip on your shoulder.

Well ive replaced most of the boost pipes if not all of them & im pretty sure i have no boost leaks but have no boost gauge to prove. So a dp and a tip and im ready to go? i guess its all big money from then on:p

cheers
steve

Well ive replaced most of the boost pipes if not all of them & im pretty sure i have no boost leaks but have no boost gauge to prove. So a dp and a tip and im ready to go? i guess its all big money from then on:p

cheers
steve

Yeah mate, to get to stage 2 engine power you need a grand tbh.

A full stage 2 car, if all bought new will set you back 2/3K if you aren't fitting it yourself.

well if i can get about 230 as it is with the added parts i think that will be more than enough "for now" :p
cheers for the help

steve

steven what bhp is yours at atm?