Whistling noise on turbo and HIDs question...

stevewushu

Reaction score
So I replaced my OEM TIP and box with a Badger 5 TIP and jetex cone this morning.
GREAT UPGRADE!!!

But for a few months now I've had progressively louder whistle when boost comes on (in every gear). There was no mention of a boost leak on recent last service, or when the breather pipes were replaced by Vagtech.
I assumed it may have been the gaping hole in the old TIP, but it's still present with the new B5 TIP on...?
Any ideas? I don't recall having this whistle in my pre facelift S3 a couple of years back, nor when I purchased this one almost a year ago.

And. What bulbs do I buy for my S3 HIDs? I think they're still the original ones and the luminosity is rather crap tbh.
I like the powerful colour of the Mercedes ones. Are they are 6000k?

In regards to your HID question, 6000k will get you the colour you are looking for. You should note, colour does not equal brightness. 4300k are as white as xenons get which gives the best light output. 6000k adds more of a blue tint to the light which in my opinion looks much better as they appear less 'dull'.

Additionally, they compromise minimal amount of light output in comparison to other higher kelvin rated bulbs (8000k, 10000k etc). It could just be that your old bulbs have faded over time but either way if you'd like a little blue in your light (which is pretty nice and subtle) 6000k is the way to go. The headlight bulbs you need are D2S bulbs.

The chart below demonstrates this well:

hid_photos_compare.jpg

Last edited:
Whistle is likes from the compressor/ back plate. If the seal between the 2 leaks you'll ge a whistle. Only way to solve is to desperate the 2 and re seal. You could always try just tightening the 4 bolts on the compressor housing in situ but it's v.difficult . Other than that just check all pipes for a leak.

it could be the red/ocre turbo to charge pipe

common problem, good idea to replace it with forge one if its a problem.