loss of power and Economy??????????????????????

tamtom

Reaction score
I still hear the turbo woosh sound and i had a small leak as i could see oil around the bottom intercooler connection.
After 2 weeks, a new front mount intercooler, a load of time and money i am here!!!!!!

i have re located the map sensor to just before the inlet as i thought this would be a good place for the boost to be measure just before it enters the engine.

the turbo spool sound is still there but i have a loss of MPG and Torque??
In fact there is so much boost that even with the new t bolt clamps tight they get blown off??? i was like WTF?

Anyone got any advice?

Any help much appreciated.

Tam

oh sorry engine is a 130 1.9 tdi ASZ audi a3 quattro......
thanks

Weird one dude, vag com is your best bet, scan for codes and tbf i wouldnt drive a diesel that seems not to have a boost leak and has no power, there is a metal pipe(sorry thats my best description lol) that comes off the turbo that can get clogged up and destroy the turbo, apperantly very common. Hope that helps and iv not scared the bejesus out of you lol.

I'd be looking for further leaks if your down on power and mpg. Try scanning for faults, and of you have the means test the IC setup for leaks ie bunging either end and inflating with a compressor. It's also worth disconnecting the battery after repairing any leaks, as this will clear any adaptations the ecu has made for the leaks, as it's not always clever enough to realise.

If it is blowing boost hoses it isnt a boost leak which is causing the issues. I would be checking that vacuum hoses to and from the boost controler are all in order, plumbed right and secure. Has the car been remapped?

Do you have a boost gauge fitted?

that doesn't make sense, you can still have leaks and blow hoses off.

My point is that if you have a boost leak then the turbo will still only be working to give the requested PSI of boost, which wouldn't be enough to blow a good condition, and correctly tightened boost hose. IMO if you had a boost leak because of a split hose, or a poor join the boost would escape from there...not pop the hose off. Unless it is just one hose, and the leak is based at that join and it is being opened up by full boost and the overcorrection for the leaking join. If you get what I mean? What clamps are being used on this car, and are they in good condition?

Most mapped TDI's make about 17/18psi at full chat I think?

It would seem more likely to me that if there is no boost leaks on the inlet routing and a fault with one of the pipes to the boost control valve (or the valve is knackered) then it could be over boosting and could blow the hoses that way. The overboost would easily cause poor MPG and low performance on a diesel.

What I am getting at is that if the clamps are good quality and are tight then the most obvious cause would be a fault with the boost control valve causing a huge boost spike. It is impossible to say without seeing a log and knowing pressures though, but that is the route I would take.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
makes good sense bro!
i figured that if the boost pipes are flying off the turbo is doing its job.
I am using TBolt clamps and they are all tight as hell..
the pipe which comes off is the one joining onto the pancake pipe as they call it.
On a VNT turbo where is the boost controller? also would the fuel temp sensor have anything to do with the loss of power or MPG?
Cooler fuel = slower combustion am i right?

I've just bought a boost gauge and an EGR delete from Allard. What can i check with trial version of VAG.com?

Cheers for the help so far peeps........

would there be any lights on the dash if i am going into limp mode?

How do you know if you go into limp mode?