S3 Versus S5!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS1500

Howdy
Reaction score
Just had a little good spirited tussel with a silver S5. Now, i'm not sure if it was the 4.2 V8 or the 3.0 supercharged one. Had a private plate, C12 *** I think.

Anyway, it was in front of me at some lights in an industrial estate. He gunned it off the line and I took a second to react then gunned it too, but fluffed a gear change. Never-the-less it didn't pull away much. He slowed due to traffic ahead then gunned it again as did I, and again he couldn't pull a decent gap. Yes, he was a little quicker but not as much as I would've thought.
He kept going to license-losing speeds (I backed off) and came up behind a van at which point he decided to take a shortcut to try to get ahead of the van, rather than wait for a safe overtaking opportunity. He ended up behind me and the van, haha.

I guess he only has 80 - 100bhp and about 20lb/ft more than me, and a weight disadvantage (?).

I bet he was a little miffed that he couldn't shake a 52 plate S3 though!

Having said all that, I did get beaten off the line by a Merc CDi Estate yesterday (side by side at the lights, in to a single carriageway about 30 yards ahead)- but only 'cos I wasn't expecting him to put up a fight and he nosed ahead before my turbo spooled! Haha.

Anyway, that is all.

Thats impressive, because as much as I think the S5 is probably the softest, most lame S car Audi have ever made, it is still actually quite a quick car...like quite a lot quicker than an 8L S3.

Thats impressive, because as much as I think the S5 is probably the softest, most lame S car Audi have ever made, it is still actually quite a quick car...like quite a lot quicker than an 8L S3.

I don't understand. Are you saying you don't believe me or something else?

Eh?? No, i'm saying the S5 is a quick car and so to have nearly kept up with him on a high speed drag is impressive...i'm not sure how else to phrase it to be honest - it's impressive...erm good news for S3 owners with a re-map...(those of us that don't have boost leak that is).

I think if you look at the 1/4 mile times of the 2 cars, a standard S5 and a mapped S3, then your story sounds pretty much bang on to be honest, what would you say, probably 0.5 seconds difference between you?

i have driven one when my mate had it as a courtesy car, it was MUCH quicker than my mapped s3, it would have been the 4.2 i drove

taken from wiki (how to tell if it was a 4.2 or 3.0sc

Despite sharing the same nameplate, the powertrains were different between the coupé and the Cabriolet/Sportback for the 2010-12 model years. The 2010-12 Audi S5 coupé had a 4.2 litre Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI) V8 engine[SUP][1][/SUP] that produces 354 hp (264 kW), while the S5 Cabriolet and Sportback have a supercharged 3.0 litre TFSI V6 engine producing 330 HP which is shared with the 2010 Audi S4 3.0 TFSI quattro sedan and avant. The coupé had a choice of either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed Tiptronic, while the Cabriolet/Sportback have the 7-speed S-tronic dual-clutch transmission.[SUP][20][/SUP]

another thing you need to take into account is the s3's short first gear, this makes it very quick at pulling away so it can often seem more powerful than it actually is, i would think the s5's first gear is closer to that of the s3's second gear

I'm inclined to think that it's perfectly achieveable.

What people forget is that a quick drag up to, lets say 100mph (on a private road and all that junk) which would be about a 1/4 mile. We know from people doing runs in mapped S3s that late 13s about 13.8, is more than easily achieved. An S5 (either of the 2 variants be it V8 or SC V6) run low 13 second 13.4 1/4 mile.

If you were in those 2 cars running head to head on a strip, the difference of 0.5 seconds between you is not very much in terms of distance gained by the faster car, giving the feeling of there not being much difference.

I think it's more than plausible.

Do I think the S3 is as quick as the S5...no it's not, but in the real world it seems less than youd imagine driving the 2 cars seperately.

Eh?? No, i'm saying the S5 is a quick car and so to have nearly kept up with him on a high speed drag is impressive...i'm not sure how else to phrase it to be honest - it's impressive...erm good news for S3 owners with a re-map...(those of us that don't have boost leak that is).

I think if you look at the 1/4 mile times of the 2 cars, a standard S5 and a mapped S3, then your story sounds pretty much bang on to be honest, what would you say, probably 0.5 seconds difference between you?

Sorry, hard to tell if there's sarcasm or not in a text-based format!

What is very important to remember though, is that neither of these cars is as quick as a 1.8T.

Audi has given the S5 a 354bhp with a kerb weight of 1640kgs.

They're quick, but not devastatingly. Quick of the line though (5.4s 0-60mph)

for around £2,000 you can get it upto 430bhp via MTM ! (the 3.0)

Audi has given the S5 a 354bhp with a kerb weight of 1640kgs.

They're quick, but not devastatingly. Quick of the line though (5.4s 0-60mph)

Which one Warren, i'd read 4.9 for the 3.0 on Audi's website? Which I must admit I thought was pretty quick.

I've driven a 4.2 S5 will Milltek exhaust and 20" rims, and I can tell you a stage1 S3 has no chance, I'm pretty sure I got to 3 figures in 3rd gear, didn't look at the speedo, was concentrating keeping the car on the road! lol

It's quick, but show it a corner, it will burst into tears, I was disappointed it didn't want to take a certain 'known' corner at highish speed that my S3 would do comfortably.

Looks great though!
06102008026.jpg

Which one Warren, i'd read 4.9 for the 3.0 on Audi's website? Which I must admit I thought was pretty quick.

4.2V8

Not many V6T's about in coupe form as they've literally only just changed to the V6. Think SB version has only ever been V6, so if it had 4 doors it will have been quicker.

I test drove a V8 when looking to change car and after S2+ S3 it just felt lazy. Beautiful sound and probably still quick, but so linear it lacked urgency.

there cant be one person that can honestly say that they are an ugly car!

my s3 is standard and i got left for dust by one, its not always about gearing and such like, its down to the driver and how hard there going to push it

I just think its a cost thing how much is an S5 compared to a mapped S3?

there cant be one person that can honestly say that they are an ugly car!

Best looking Audi at the moment in my eyes. Just a shame it's not as dynamically gifted as some of it's German rivals.

Reactions: FergyA3
Best looking Audi at the moment in my eyes. Just a shame it's not as dynamically gifted as some of it's German rivals.

I didn't have an S5 but I had an A5 and it was a lovely looking car I thought, quite grown up but not old man. It was slow as you like though only being a 1.8T and front wheel drive was just awful. Oh and the ride was really crashy with 19" rims.

Hey js1500, good exsperiance you had then? Iv raced an s5 but didnt think to tell evryone as he spanked my *** lol off the mark it was so so as he had a better launch anyway, but when i went from 1st to 2nd he was gone tbf, and im sure it was the 4.2 as i only wanted to race him to hear that v8 :0 and my gosh it nearly made me have a crisis lol

Oh and i have a standard a3 1.8t so i knew i wasnt going to win lol

I think the S5 is S-tronic too which makes it easier to drive fast in a straight line!

He'll be along soon just you wait..

Only to say you're a bunch of *****, and yet again...put up or shut up.

Personally I don't like the look of the S5, I think they look bland. First time I saw one I was impressed by the size of it, but unfortunately they are so outclassed by the Mercedes equivalent that if I had the money I wouldn't buy one.

For me, this is a much better looking car with individual style, and I'm pretty sure is a **** load quicker too -

2010_Mercedes_CL63_AMG_EU-spec.jpg

He probably had no interest AT ALL in racing some bloke in an S3 off the lights. Because he was racing off to his health club to go for an evening swim after work before heading to the driving range.

Back to the question, not a scooby doo which would be quicker TBH. But I'll sit with the S5 being the quicker car.

Last edited by a moderator:
RS4 over the merc for me everyday of the week. IMO the RS4 looks purposeful whereas the Merc says 'LOOK AT MEEEE'. For the price of the Merc I'd at least want the front bumper the same colour as the rest of the car!

As for pace, the Merc might be quicker, but when you're buying cars with this kind of performance does it really matter? How often would you drive either of those too even close to its capabillity? Obviously this excludes you Jardo, as we are all aware of your level of ability ;-)

RS4 over the merc for me everyday of the week. IMO the RS4 looks purposeful whereas the Merc says 'LOOK AT MEEEE'. For the price of the Merc I'd at least want the front bumper the same colour as the rest of the car!

As for pace, the Merc might be quicker, but when you're buying cars with this kind of performance does it really matter? How often would you drive either of those too even close to its capabillity? Obviously this excludes you Jardo, as we are all aware of your level of ability ;-)

Haha, you saw my pre edit post :p

I too would pick the RS4 over the Merc if I had to own one (if anything because it has an actual proper gearbox!), but they are different cars in my eyes. The B7 RS4 is a practical grand tourer, where as the Merc and the S5 aren't really sure what they are. They're big heavy coupe's with massive engines, not much practicality, very uncoupe like handling and performance but with big pose factor. The RS4 was just used because it's my personal experience with new S/RS line cars. As a daily driver, the point and destroy power of the RS4 would win it for me, the practicality kicks ****, and I've never met a single person with an RS4 avant who isn't pretty rad. (Apart from Mr Nutting)

S5 or Merc, personally I'd have the Merc.

Haha, dude I max my driving ability just getting to work every morning without crashing lol!

Last edited:
Off topic slightly, but wouldn't the new RS3 and TTRS blitz all but the R8 V10? And what if they were remapped aswell? :superman:

I regularly get spanked by an a local white RS5 and black RS4 who seem to toy with my mapped S3 whilst racing each other. I might just get a TTRS, unbadge it and f*** em right off!

I think the new RS1 with some stage two mods would rape the living **** out of them, they'd never see that coming!

I know of a SUPER ratty, terrible looking Saxo VTR which is running a shortened quattro system with a mid mounted 5 pot which is 540bhp. The thing weighs just under 850kgs, looks terrible and destroys everything up to 130mph where it runs out of gears.

Reactions: stevewushu
jardo, choose any one of my three vehicles in my sig and i'll "put up", we'll see who will get to 100 first

i'll give you a 2 second head start against the ktm, a 3 second headstart against the rs4 and a 6 second head start against the ducati

jardo, choose any one of my three vehicles in my sig and i'll "put up",era so who will get to 100 first

i'll give you a 2 second head start against the ktm, a 3 second headstart against the rs4 and a 6 second head start against the ducati

Not relevant is it though, because as I've said before you don't own an S3.

In fact it just further proves my point...you clearly like speed so you sold your Slow3 and bought an RS4. Willy waving fail :p

Ah AH .....Game on....:)

fkn jardo how you can say the s5 is not a good looking car is quite suprising, there ****** gorgeous, without been in your face...IMO

Last edited:
Not relevant is it though, because as I've said before you don't own an S3.

In fact it just further proves my point...you clearly like speed so you sold your Slow3 and bought an RS4. Willy waving fail :p

slow compared to my 2 bikes yes, fast when compared to your a3, so you don't even want to try your luck? even with the head start?

slow compared to my 2 bikes yes, fast when compared to your a3, so you don't even want to try your luck? even with the head start?

Given 3 seconds I think I'd stand a good chance with the RS4.

This was on 16" budgets, it's 0.8 seconds quicker on GPS now it has 17's with decent rubber -

How come this argument always centers around you, and your S3 which you don't own? How come you never post up any backing to your claims? No video's, no track day destructions, no personal accounts...just your word against mine with all the evidence. I guess like me, you just like a good argument.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.