My first diy service!

Paradox1

Reaction score
ok so the service light is on the clocks on my AUM,should have my oil filter and oil tomorrow. I know It's not hard to do. what I plan to do is take out the sum plug with a 19mm socket? please confirm.
let the oil drain out obviously. unscrew the oil filter. leave it for a while then put some new oil around the brim of the new filter and screw it back in. Change the sump plug wash then put the bolt back in a fill up with 4 litres of new oil.

I have a cold air intake so I will clean that up aswell. pollen filter I can do so not a problem. plan to do the fuel filter with prawn in the near future. is there anything else I should so while I have the car jacked up or anything I've missed?

Get her nice and warm before you drain the oil... Add some Engine flush possibly before draining old Oil. ;-)

And for the price Of new plugs it's a no brainer to change them.

change air filter, oil filter, air filter, polen filter, fuel filter, sparks, oil, brake/clutch fluid, coolant, that is what i would regard as a service

however, service time for me is a time to also get it on a ramp and check all wearable parts, i know my mechanic well, so this is always easy for me, get someone to go over it with vagcom too

changing the oil is not a service in my eyes, that's just changing the oil and i believe that on it's own should also be done between services

you may also want to consider a gearbox oil change

fuel filter is a must, and the + thing is there only 6-7 quid, eash to change, just be sure to do the clips properly or you'l break them... ive had so many ppl come in and they've knackered the clips by butchering them with no idea of what there doing, use 2 flat head screwdrivers 1 to push the tab in and 1 to work the clip off the filter gently, obviously making sure not to get petrol all in your face!! easy job and you'l notice a difference if it was clogged up..

thanks guys,what spark plugs would you recommend for a stage 2 18t? I don't know if I'm capable of doing a gearbox oil change on my own tbh. I think ill order a fuel filter while I'm at it

cheers for that mate,I know I need specific gearbox oil from vw. how much isit and is there anyway I could f it up?also what do I do with the old oil disposal wise?

when i bought mt90 it was something like £17 a bottle, i needed 3

however, if i did it again i;d just buy direct from audi, so give your local dealer a call, or maybe use opieoils instead as they have good "find oil for my car" tools on their site

and a tip, if you do change the oil, make sure you undo the filler bolt first, because if you dont and you drain it, you may find you can get the filler bolt off lol!!

Not that gearbox oil is recommended in the service schedule anyway. But if its at a high amount of mileage its probably worth doing it. Usually makes it run a lot better. I remember putting in MTF94 Land Rover fluid into Honda`s to cure the crunching syncros. Was like a new gearbox after the change.

change air filter, oil filter, air filter, polen filter, fuel filter, sparks, oil, brake/clutch fluid, coolant, that is what i would regard as a service

however, service time for me is a time to also get it on a ramp and check all wearable parts, i know my mechanic well, so this is always easy for me, get someone to go over it with vagcom too

changing the oil is not a service in my eyes, that's just changing the oil and i believe that on it's own should also be done between services

you may also want to consider a gearbox oil change

Changing the air filter twice is a bit excessive, especially when he doesn't need to once!

I would say that changing all that is a bit excessive for a sub 10k service, but if you have access to ramps to check all parts under the car, that's no bad thing.

Gearbox oil change is not part of a service either really, on the newer stuff VW say there is no need to ever change it. Whilst it wont do any harm, it doesn't exactly need to be a regular thing...

Fuel filter on a petrol is never on the schedule either to be honest lol.

thanks guys,what spark plugs would you recommend for a stage 2 18t? I don't know if I'm capable of doing a gearbox oil change on my own tbh. I think ill order a fuel filter while I'm at it

I use BKR7E NGK non iridium plugs personally. Can get all for for less than a tenner. I change them every 5K ish.

Fuel filter on a petrol is never on the schedule either to be honest lol.

No, but it should be. Every S3 filter I have done has been the original. You should see the state of the things. The fuel is black coming out. Nasty.

Change every service for the sake of £6. Instant performance increase if you have a very old one.

Yeah i know, never know why they say dont bother but i still do. All manufacturers seem to say it. Changed it on the A4 as it looked pretty manky.

c
hanging the gearbox oil is very easy if you can get under the car, one bolt to let it out, one bolt to fill it up lol

Unless you want to do it properly......:whistle2: and drain the transfer box too, a separate drain plug for that but uses the same gearbox filler hole...
You need to then drive it using all gears for a short while (it fills the transfer box back up), then top up the gearbox

Unless you want to do it properly......:whistle2: and drain the transfer box too, a separate drain plug for that but uses the same gearbox filler hole...
You need to then drive it using all gears for a short while (it fills the transfer box back up), then top up the gearbox

I really should get on and change my box oil to be fair.

interesting !