S3 with Halogens??? Help :(

kav1187

Reaction score
Hi All,

Before I get found out and Booed off the forum I'll own up to being a VW owner. I'm currently in the middle of converting a VW Golf Mk2 Syncro to run the S3 engine, wiring, dash, 4x4 etc etc... (this is where you guys come in :salute:). The S3 I bought seems to have halogen headlights instead of xenons.

It is a 2000 model (8L) and being an S3, should have xenons, no? It has all the auto leveling sensors fitted and also shows xenons on the VAG COM readings. I know it's been involved in a front end accident at some point as the passenger side has evidence of repairs which leads me to believe that the previous owner cut costs on the repair and fitted halogen headlights instead of xenons.

What baffles me is that the wiring loom has the correct connector for the halogen lights and it doesn't look like it has been altered. I've taken a pic of the back of the headlights to show the connector:

URL]

From what I can see on ETKA and from pics of the back of the xenon headlights, the connectors are completely different.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Kav

Yeah i thought as much. Can someone with an early S3 have a look at their loom to confirm its defo not the round type as in my pic? Is there a loom in between the round connector and the headlights?

Thanks

I don't have a pre-facelift but they look OE to me, and I'm sure all S3's came with Xenons. Pre-facelifts do have different lamps/projectors but I'm sure they're still Xenons.

Sorry I forgot to mention - the pic is of the halogen headlights that are on the car. The connector on the wiring loom fits these (halogen) lights. I just wanted to see what the connector is like on the xenons.

Thanks,
Kav

What you have is the facelift lights put on there. The preface lift had square connectors. Check your loom, there might be a connector from square to round. If not just keep that loom and run HID kit as the lights will have projectors? I'll try and take a pic if my loom later as my car is on the other side of the hosp here and it's cold outside lol

Thanks matey, that would be most appreciated.

I think they're the pre-facelift lights as the indicator is separate. They're defo the halogen ones because there's an H7 bulb with no projector. I'll take some more pics when I get home tonight.

TBH it's not the end of the world if I use the halogen lights, but I would quite like to fit the xenon projectors/leveling etc to the mk2 golf :rock:

Ok...mystery solved...I undid the black wrapping from around the cables and....

SAM_7137.JPG

Can someone have a look at the colours at the back of their passenger side xenon headlight connector and confirm that the four colours in the pic below go into that connector?

Yellow/Blue
White/Black
Grey/Black
Brown

SAM_7139.JPG