AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Nearly made it to 100k without an irritating problem

Had my 99 s3 since 26k, about to hit 100k and 2 days ago a nasty knocking noise has appeared and I need some help as its getting worse rapidly. The front ARB and wishbone bushes were replaced at 70k but everything else is standard and original. I checked the front and rear arbs this evening and all bushes look fine. The rear arb is very rusty and realise this can crack the collar inside the bush, but the front arb is still looking pretty uncorroded.

Knock feels like it is coming from below the drivers seat or towards the back of the car when going over smallish holes in the road. Even though the knock sounds like it is from the middle/ rear of the car the noise happens when the front wheels hit a pot hole....

Looking at the top mounts, when the car is on the ground there is an 8-10mm gap between the body and the top cap. Guessing top mounts need replacing but is this enough to cause the knocking?

What are the first things i should replace?

2. # ADS
    ADS

The stigs ugly brother

Status
    Could be your rear shox? And iv had broken springs before so check the top of the springs for rust. Good luck and i hope it dont cost alot, thats some good going btw, iv never had a car for more than 30k, not by choice lol

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by camscockle20vT View Post
    Could be your rear shox? And iv had broken springs before so check the top of the springs for rust. Good luck and i hope it dont cost alot, thats some good going btw, iv never had a car for more than 30k, not by choice lol
    I agree. If its a knocking and not a rotational noise the sound would be like that.

After stiffening mine with new springs and dampers a fixing bolt sheared off and created a knocking noise on rear drivers side. Had to get wife in the car to pin point exact location though as its tough when driving solo.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

2nd Gear

Status
    Broken exhaust bracket?

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    I had a knocking noise from the left side of my car, changed top mounts but they were fine. Turned out to be n/s ball joint. If its coming from your rear then check shocks as said above.
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...