Potential new owner...

joecool

Reaction score
Hi

After recently owning a VW Golf Mk4 TDi, Seat Leon Cupra R 225 then back to a diesel Golf i'm begining to look at getting back to a pertrol turbo car and fancy an A3. From my initial searches I have found the 1.8T (150bhp) and the Quattro (180bhp) Was the fwd 1.8T never available with the 180bhp engine? I've only really searched on autotrader where all the fwd's are given as 150bhp...
Just wanted clarification of whether I can get a 180bhp model in fwd??

Sorry if this has been covered a gazillion times, I did a quick search but couldn't find what I was looking for.

they defo do a 180bhp fwd ! it's basically the same engine / turbo etc as the TT 180bhp

no FWD 180bhp cars were made in the A3 mate, although the AUM 150bhp engine and AUQ 180bhp engine are mechanically identical, with only the factory maps giving different power outputs. Both map up to exactly the same level.

Worth remembering, that the Quattro has the added weight of the 4wd system, so will actually feel more sluggish than the FWD A3 with identical engine setups, hence why the S3 got a bigger turbo to pull along it's added weight.

if you go for a facelift car, the AUM engine comes with a ko3S turbo already, which is capable of a solid 220bhp with relatively minor mods. The same can be achieved from a TQ as well, although it's a bit more expensive due to the need for a custom downpipe to get around the transfer box.

they defo do a 180bhp fwd ! it's basically the same engine / turbo etc as the TT 180bhp

Same engine and turbo yes, although in 150bhp form it's called the AUM. the FWD A3 was never produced with 180bhp.

180bhp form it's either the AJQ in early TQ's with the ko3 turbo, or the AUQ in later quattro cars that had the ko3S. the early AJQ can only be taken to around 190-195bhp on the standard ko3 turbo, where the ko3S, on the AUQ, like the AUM, can happily see 220bhp with a few choice mods.

Same engine and turbo yes, although in 150bhp form it's called the AUM. the FWD A3 was never produced with 180bhp.

180bhp form it's either the AJQ in early TQ's with the ko3 turbo, or the AUQ in later quattro cars that had the ko3S. the early AJQ can only be taken to around 190-195bhp on the standard ko3 turbo, where the ko3S, on the AUQ, like the AUM, can happily see 220bhp with a few choice mods.

audi are just stupid sometimes !!!

strange isn't it? but they probably did it to aid sales of the 180bhp TT I'd think.

Much like VW listing the 2.0 ABF as being 150bhp, compared to 172bhp for the VR6. Truth is, the ABF's all made about 160ish new, but that was too close to the VR6, so nobody would have bought one.

Same was said of the S3 being 210 at launch, it makes the 225TT look sportier, when infact, there's very little difference!

it's the marketing departments, cant believe they'd sell a car wit ha 180bhp setup with a 150bhp map on it, that's just rude !

The TT is also very heavy. 50kg more than the s3 for no obvious gain aside from looking pretty.

Excellent, thanks for the replies. If it's just a mapping difference i'm not too concerned as a re-map would be on the shopping list. I'm surprised they didn't do a 180bhp version like Seat did with the Leon Cupra alongside the Cupra R.

So best bet is to make sure I get one with the K03S turbo and go from there?