Will mirrors off other VAG models fit S3?

Veero

Reaction score
One thing that always make me cringe with Audi is the lack of electrically folding mirrors, especially when the aluminium ones are reportedly £350 each + Vat from a Stealership. Even current models don't seem to have folding mirrors which boggles the mind when so many other manufacturers have them as standard.

Since the VAG group covers so many brands do other mirrors from other VAG cars fit an 8L S3?

I've found these folding mirrors from a 2001 Leon on eBay and the mounting plate looks all but identical to the S3. Can anyone confirm whether or not this fit is possible? Wing Mirrors.

Obviously there is more work involved than simply bolting on a driving off, the switch and wiring needs doing to but is this a feasible starting point?

Cheers
Veero

Its plausible that they should fit... the Mk4 chassis shares a lot of bits... I suspect you would need to use the mounting plates from the S3 though to fit the door...

I am sure there was a thread here some time back about fitting folding mirrors... from what I understand they were an option in Europe but not sure if they were in the UK

<tuffty/>

I heard that they were available as an option in the UK but for some reason the documentation wasn’t translated into English or something equally ridiculous so whilst they were an option (and have been for donkey’s years) barely any UK dealers were/are aware the option existed so never offered it. Just seems ludicrous to me, it’s such an excellent no-brainer feature just having the knowledge your mirrors probably won’t be damaged by some careless chump while your away is great.

There is another thread which included parts numbers and prices, IIRC the folding mirror assemblies themselves were something insane like £370 + Vat each from Audi.I believe the A3/S3 8L mirror switch is shared by A4/A6 and some A8s.

I’m half tempted to go to my local breakers and get a Leon mirror and an A3 mirror and compare the two. I know the brands share a lot of part numbers so this could be another possible crossover.

You can pick up A3/4 folding mirrors from Ebay for about £25 each.
You then need the relay from a A3/4/8 from about the same year for about £30ish (I can't remember what I paid for mine) off ebay.
Some cables, relay holder and a new mirror switch from the dealer and the jobs a good-en.

It cost me less than £100 for my set up.
I also found out that some of after market mirrors, the sort you get from GSF, comes with the motor for folding mirrors.

Here is some videos. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah spot on, that's exactly what I would like to achieve. I don't mind buying some bits from Audi just not the mirror assemblies themselves.

What sort of level do you have to go into to get them working? Is it a simple case of fitting the mirrors, buying plug and play wiring connectors and the window switch and plugging it all in?

Will the A4 mirrors of the same era fit an A3/S3? I've found a drivers side A3 mirror and a passenger side A4 mirror, the part numbers are very similar.

Ah spot on, that's exactly what I would like to achieve. I don't mind buying some bits from Audi just not the mirror assemblies themselves.

What sort of level do you have to go into to get them working? Is it a simple case of fitting the mirrors, buying plug and play wiring connectors and the window switch and plugging it all in?
Not plug and play.
You need to add wires to the mirror plugs, on the car body side, wire up the relay with the cables from the switch and mirrors.
Its pretty easy really, just chasing cables and fitting them to plugs.

Will the A4 mirrors of the same era fit an A3/S3? I've found a drivers side A3 mirror and a passenger side A4 mirror, the part numbers are very similar.
I doubt it but I don't know for sure.