JMB RetrofitsBadger5
    imported_alecblack

Air condition added to non ac car

Hi all,

I have a 97 Turbo sport it does not have air conditioning just the standard heaters. Would i be able to take the air conditioning out of another car and add it to mine?

Is this a big job/how much would it cost?

Has anyone done this before?

Is there a big difference between A/C and climate control?

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

Re: Air condition added to non ac car

I thought all sports came with A/C ...although I may be wrong.

Cimate Control is where you set the temperature and computer keeps the car at the temperature .. I think in the T-Sport this invovles several sensors.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Air Con is just a button normally ( ie on / off ) you turn it on when you want your car a bit cooler.

Reto-fitting AirCon is obviously going to be easier than climate control .. whether it can be done at a cost that is justifiable .. I doubt it, but I don't know.

6th Gear

Status

it was the SE model that came with aircon. As for fitting, depends if you are able to do it yourself - half the dash needs to come apart to get the airbox out as they are different for the cable operated one and the one with climate, then there is a lot of wiring to be done and extra sensors to fit (sunlight penetration, outside temp etc) At this point I have fitted and wired up the climate control and it all works great - expect.. the aircon doesnt work yet as I havent got that side done yet. I have the compressor, and evapourator but yet to get the extra fan plus the aircon pipes etc. The parts I got of off ebay, and so far I reckon i've spent about 350 on parts.

It is a lot of work, I also happen to have access to wiring diagrams etc.

I hoped to have it all done for summer but my pal decided to get married in Canada so my funds have been reduced [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

imported_alecblack

Wow what a mass of wires. I would def get it done proffesionally. Any idea how much this would cost. Did you get any estimates before deciding to do it yourself?

6th Gear

Status

I agree with Ian LOL I just felt left out as I didnt have a turbo to spend my money on and i wanted a challenge [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Sounds like adding a turbo would be less hassle to add than the CC !

Senior

Status

Definately not worth the hassle de-gassing disassembly re-assembly vacuum test and then re-gassing adds up to a couple of hundred pounds almost that is excluding the removal and re installation of equipment from one vehicle to another.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

This one of "those" types of questions.

I rekon that if your car is standard then you should just sell it and buy a model with air-con.

If it is highly modifided, you can't bear to part with it and you have the skills, then buy all means have a go at fitting it.

Nuff work to be done tho, but good luck.