Air condition added to non ac car

I

imported_alecblack

Hi all,

I have a 97 Turbo sport it does not have air conditioning just the standard heaters. Would i be able to take the air conditioning out of another car and add it to mine?

Is this a big job/how much would it cost?

Has anyone done this before?

Is there a big difference between A/C and climate control?

I thought all sports came with A/C ...although I may be wrong.

Cimate Control is where you set the temperature and computer keeps the car at the temperature .. I think in the T-Sport this invovles several sensors.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Air Con is just a button normally ( ie on / off ) you turn it on when you want your car a bit cooler.

Reto-fitting AirCon is obviously going to be easier than climate control .. whether it can be done at a cost that is justifiable .. I doubt it, but I don't know.

it was the SE model that came with aircon. As for fitting, depends if you are able to do it yourself - half the dash needs to come apart to get the airbox out as they are different for the cable operated one and the one with climate, then there is a lot of wiring to be done and extra sensors to fit (sunlight penetration, outside temp etc) At this point I have fitted and wired up the climate control and it all works great - expect.. the aircon doesnt work yet as I havent got that side done yet. I have the compressor, and evapourator but yet to get the extra fan plus the aircon pipes etc. The parts I got of off ebay, and so far I reckon i've spent about £350 on parts.

Image(060).jpg

It is a lot of work, I also happen to have access to wiring diagrams etc.

I hoped to have it all done for summer but my pal decided to get married in Canada so my funds have been reduced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Wow what a mass of wires. I would def get it done proffesionally. Any idea how much this would cost. Did you get any estimates before deciding to do it yourself?

I agree with Ian LOL I just felt left out as I didnt have a turbo to spend my money on and i wanted a challenge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Sounds like adding a turbo would be less hassle to add than the CC !

Definately not worth the hassle de-gassing disassembly re-assembly vacuum test and then re-gassing adds up to a couple of hundred pounds almost that is excluding the removal and re installation of equipment from one vehicle to another.

This one of "those" types of questions.

I rekon that if your car is standard then you should just sell it and buy a model with air-con.

If it is highly modifided, you can't bear to part with it and you have the skills, then buy all means have a go at fitting it.

Nuff work to be done tho, but good luck.