Steering Rack Adjustment

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Is there any? Where and how? After changing the bushes and tie rods the steering is better, but still not as tight as i would like it to be. Is there any adjustment to take up the slack?

Rich

Rich mines in the garage for a similar problem to day .. to try and sort out the large dead centre. I think I'll probably be going down the same road that you've already gone down ( although paying more for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) I'll let you know what they replace and if they sort it out ..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On my previous cars there have been rubber universal joints situated in the rack. Im not sure if this will be the case on the a3 but it might be worth looking into.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not th case on VAG PS racks...
The 'rack' part has the track rods screwed directly into the ends of the 'rack' section - no rubber there.

Then the track rod ends screw onto the ends of the track rods...again no rubber.

Rich..

So, wear is either the track rod ends - unlikely if they are new...or it's wear in the rack pinion part of the PS Rack assembly.

There is a bolt there that tightens the pinion onto the steering input shaft...but I can't remember if you can tighten up the rack that way...even if you can, it means the assembly is worn and you are only buying time.

If you get help in checking if the wheels turn - even slightly - when you rock the steering wheel side to side, you'll be able to diagnose a worn PS Rack...which is very rare on a VAG PS car.

If, however, you feel the car is not responding to steering unputs as you would hope...this can be many more things...
Heavy wheels - gyroscope effect trying to get them turned

Odd toe settings - this will numb the steering. Going slightly toe-out will liven up a totally dead steering set-up like the A3/S3 has...

Not enough negative camber - adding negative camber can add response, making the steering feel faster

Not enough castor - again, camber related on turn in.

None of these actually solve the problem, if one exists, but they can help mask problems, or change the characteristics for the better.

Could be any / all of them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it all a go. As i said im gonig to replace the steering rack mount bush and see if that has any effect... for £10 i may aswell! I'll see if tightening it up helps and see also if the wheels move or not. I need to get the tracking done as i've only set the track rods to their old setting or thereabouts so need it done properly.

Rich