help please :(

camerontarver

Reaction score
hey im wundering if anyone knows what i did wrong or went wrong to the car and i know its going to cost £££££ to get fixed sadly

today i changed the oil and put in 5w/30 fully syth oil
2ed thing i did was toped the tank up and put in injecter cleaning stuff as there was a very load ticking sound from them
i drove about 3 miles on the way home and the car had no power what so ever and there was a very bad vibrateing when trying to accelrate it toke about 10 seconds to get to 30mph when i got home i left the engine running while i looked under the bonnet and there was a very load knocking sound

probloms
1st load ticking sound from the injectors
2ed very load knocking from the engine sounds like something inside wants to fly out
3ed no power in the car
4th very very bad vibrating when accelrate can feel it thow out the car

i forgot to say its a 1999 1.8 T quattro with 180k on the clock

sorry for the spelling

Coil pack id say!,check your coils are pushed down,if not one has prob gone!,about £60 on that one!,oils fine and injector cleaner dnt think is such a bad thing,better to take injectors out and clean plus new fuel filter really!,hope this helps

i know nothing about engines whats the coils and where would i find them thanks for the help

I'm sure there alot better suggestions about to follow but I'd have a guess at a blocked injector maby?

If that additive can clean ur injectors it can also wash up a load of crap out of the fuel system into them and maby cause a blockage

Coil packs are located on top of the engine, there are 4 of them, they push down onto the spark plugs

would that couse the knocking sound in the block and no power and bad vibrateing thow i forgot the say after it all went wrong a oil light came on the big one covers all the display

Vibrating and poor running yes-
Not the knock from the block tho, sounds like you have some big problems there

Yea it will do that with a coil pack down and thats the warning light the big one in the middle!(ref) camerons post

had to nip off out and when i got back i thought ot have a look around the block as im sure theres something wrong in side of it and there seems to be a lot of oil on top of the fans i ran my finger along it and it was covered in black oil and there seems to be a LOT of it half way down the engine and over the hoses there i pulled out the dipstick to check it and is got way to much oil in there so this could very well be the problom

Pull the plugs out and have a look at the condition. Could be piston slap

OR

Ignition control module (if it has one) :)

are the plugs something u can do in the dark? :S if so i'll have a look at them now and make a video of the engine running

never checked the plugs as well basicly i dont think i know how to and would not want to start takeing things apart i dont know and wont be able to put back to gather lol

I'm surprised nobody has asked this....

How much oil did you remove and how much exactly did you fill it up with? I'm sure you haven't, but the knocking and the oil you describe everywhere can be caused by overfilling an engine with oil..

Last edited:
i never removed any a locl garage did it for me i just brought my car and my oil along to them and thay kindly did it there and then uploading pictures and videos

worth checking the oil level on the dipstick pronto to make sure it's not been massively overfilled then.

Hang on, let me get this straight....

You took the car to a garage to have the oil changed (and the other bits?) I make the assumption all was well with the car before you went to the garage, and after picking it up it was ********? If thats the case i'd be asking the garage a few questions, you trust this place, used them before?

Last edited:
i did do and it has been over filled its a good 1/3 up the stick

F**k me thats not good at all. Seriously...a 1/3rd?

Over filling an engine with oil to that degree can have catastrophic consequences;

-Blown oil seals (could explain oil all over your fans)
-frothy oil from crank windage (air pumped round with the oil)
-excess oil on the bores that the oil seal cannot handle = burning oil = knackered cat eventually (along with knackered oil seals probably).
-Broken big ends from the housing smashing into the oil surface each revolution (Possibly the cause of your knocking)

If this really is the case, and i'd check before it is, i'd be paying the garage a visit.

Last edited:
Did you say that you supplied the oil? If so, how much did you give them/get back from them?

img0141pu.jpg

img0140ey.jpg

img0138qz.jpg

img0143ep.jpg

img0142n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the morning call the garage that did the work and ask them to take the car back,
do not drive it any where before some of the oil has been drained to the correct level

Can really cause some damage if you do

As said above, i'd not move the car personally. Call the garage in the morning, tell them exactly what you've found, make sure you take a picture of the oil level on the dipstick in the morning too in case they try and pull a fast one - I know it doesn't prove much but just in case.

If you do have to drive the car then at the very least you should drain the oil back to the recommended level before driving it. Again, if you do this then keep the oil you've drained out should you need it to prove it was overfilled by them.

I'm not suggesting this is the case, but it has been known for garages to overfill cars with oil to ensure their "regulars" come back at a later date and get a nice new catalytic convertor replaced when the car fails it's MOT.

I'd say you got it all back, plus a bit more!

Aye, could it be possible that there was a blockage and the old stuff didn't drain fully before they whacked the whole lot of the new stuff in? Did you get the big red can on your dis before you changed the oil?

no the big red can was on the drive home sore it and pulled over right away as i thought it was saying there was no oil checked the stick and the oil was just above min as the engine was hot at this point i assumeed it was a broken sensor or something and drove the rest of the way then 1mile down the road pulling of from a set of lights i herd this very load knocking and vibrateing and the time it toke to get to 30mph was the clear sign something is not right with it

Hmm, call the garage in the morning! Nice to hear it's lasted 180k miles though, gives me hope for mine!

no the big red can was on the drive home sore it and pulled over right away as i thought it was saying there was no oil checked the stick and the oil was just above min as the engine was hot at this point i assumeed it was a broken sensor or something and drove the rest of the way then 1mile down the road pulling of from a set of lights i herd this very load knocking and vibrateing and the time it toke to get to 30mph was the clear sign something is not right with it

Well look, I don't think its your coil packs if I'm honest, and I don' think there is much you can do this evening now.

I'm off to bed, but let us know what the garage have to say of you can get hold of them tomorrow mate.

ya im not expecting to fix it tonight seeming as i dont even know how to change the oil myself :) so letalone do what ever is need'ed

off to bed myself kinda a long drive tomorrow in the other car

no update yet garage was closed, just hope thay agree to fix it i had to move the car today on to the drive and there was a **** load of white smoke comeing from the frount of the car, the last car i had that did this needed a whole new engine so i know its not a good sign lol

time to look at the pros and cons of buying a new a3 or geting a new engine and droping that in

im likeing the new engine more thow anyideas

left hand side of the block is the cam belt. inside the cam cover on the right hand side is a chain connection the 2 cams together.

the sound in the vid sounds like a the chain to me