Patience lost....Still not starting

slowcoach3

Reaction score
First off I have used the search button!!!
My S3 won't start, turn the key and nothing happens, zero noise. Its almost as if it won't turn the last bit, but it does! Battery is fine, everything else electrically works, I've nicked the battery and put it in my A3 so know thats OK. Managed to jump it the other day and it ran fine... I've scaned it and there is no codes, when this happened on my A3 last month it was the starter, I managed to do this myself and it was easy been trying for nearly 10 hrs now and I can't get the sodding thing off the S3, its just not playing the game. Booked into a garage for tomorrow morning, just wondered if there is anything else I can check first because I don't want them to replace it and find that wasn't the problem!
Any ideas/experience or advice greatly appreciated

So it dosent do anything what so ever? Id say cam position sensor,or immobiliser relate but id say open circuit to cam position of you havent already ruled that out.

So it dosent do anything what so ever? Id say cam position sensor,or immobiliser relate but id say open circuit to cam position of you havent already ruled that out.

It's funny you say that...............

Pat

How is an open circuit on ANY sensor going to stop the engine turning over?

I go with faulty ignition switch or starter. Assuming connections to starter are good.

Immo failure will still allow the car to turn over and briefly start and cut out

I have had a camshaft sensor G40 fault code, 17745 intermittant the car has started whenever I've needed it though. Once or twice it has taken two times to get it to start but never more than that. Funnily enough though I did swap the camshaft position sensor on boxing day, drove it twice on the day though and it was all fine.....Swapped it back today and still no difference....
Does anyone know where the sensor cable ends up after it goes across the fuel line?
If it was immobilizer, what symptoms would you expect? Car locks/unlocks remotely etc

Connections to starter are now very clean.....Whereabouts is the ignition switch sensor? And would it throw a code?

How is an open circuit on ANY sensor going to stop the engine turning over?

I go with faulty ignition switch or starter. Assuming connections to starter are good.

Immo failure will still allow the car to turn over and briefly start and cut out

I dont know why i just know lol i had this happen, i think its due to the fact the ecu dosent know the position of the cam so stops you from starting, if your getting that code on vag com id say its that imo.

Probably ignition switch. It's on steering column plastic bit brakes in it. Think if it was cam sensor it would just turn over and not fire if anything

Probably ignition switch. It's on steering column plastic bit brakes in it. Think if it was cam sensor it would just turn over and not fire if anything

Mine never done anything mate, was dead as a dodo, it had it as an intermitten fault but the one day it just wouldnt start, was an open circuit fault code. I may be wrong but just sounds the same.