S3 Aircon Drain Location ?

sideways steve

Reaction score
First question for you all !

I have the issue commonly spoken about whereby im getting damp passenger carpets and steamy windows as a result.

I have noticed water dripping down from the glove box area and believe its related to the drain for the aircon being blocked.

My question is does anyone have a photo or a good description of the location of the drain so I can unblock it as i will be having to do it in the dark due to not having time through the day when I am at work. I could find it myself in daylight without a problem but obviously its easier asking someone who has done this already to save me having to rummage about with limited visibility and the rain hammering down outside !

Cheers in advance !

Steve

Are you sure it's the aircon drain and not water coming through the bulkhead around the pollen filter? That is also in that location and is more likely to be the cause IMO. It's a case of really bad design for both of the scuttle cover for the pollen filter and the drain hole into the front inner wing.

To fix take the wipers off, then the scuttle tray. With that out of the way you can then get easy access to the pollen filter and housing and will probably find that the drain hole in the inner wing is blocked with leaves and other assorted rubbish. That allows a pool of water to build in the scuttle area that then drains under the pollen filter and into the cabin as you describe.

It's a useful bit of preventative maintenance to do this every couple of years or so just to make sure the water can still get out, and the same piece of poor design is 'feature' of most VAG's from the 1980's onwards.

Are you sure it's the aircon drain and not water coming through the bulkhead around the pollen filter? That is also in that location and is more likely to be the cause IMO. It's a case of really bad design for both of the scuttle cover for the pollen filter and the drain hole into the front inner wing.

To fix take the wipers off, then the scuttle tray. With that out of the way you can then get easy access to the pollen filter and housing and will probably find that the drain hole in the inner wing is blocked with leaves and other assorted rubbish. That allows a pool of water to build in the scuttle area that then drains under the pollen filter and into the cabin as you describe.

It's a useful bit of preventative maintenance to do this every couple of years or so just to make sure the water can still get out, and the same piece of poor design is 'feature' of most VAG's from the 1980's onwards.

Thanks for the reply, I had thought it may be the pollen filter housing originally but was swayed more toward the aircon drain after reading quite a few threads online. I will probably clean out both anyway just to ensure I don't get anymore problems :)