Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Unhappy Rear brake hose connector leak

Changed the disc and pads on one of the rears earlier and noticed brake fluid leaking from the hose where it connects to the brake line. It seems I may have bent the connection point (the bit the hose connects to, don't know the correct term) during winding the piston back as it was exceedingly stiff, maybe even seized up. I was using the winding tool and had the handbrake off, though not disconnected, but needed both a socket/driver attached to the tool and mole grips on the caliper to brace against before I eventually got it to budge, and presumably in this process I didn't pay enough attention to the hose and strained it.

Anyway, as I re-attached the caliper I also moved the hose end back into its correct position, bending the connection point back straight, and this seemed to stop the leak. Wiped clean and pumped the brake pedal with the engine running, I didn't see any new fluid coming out of the connection but am obviously a bit concerned about the connection. Brake fluid level still fine.

I ran out of time/light but have to go back to this later this week (and do the other side), so need some tips to check the car is safe to drive etc. The connection looks to be very difficult to get to properly without further dismantling near the wheel and I've not changed brake hoses before so unsure how the connections work (is it just small spanners?).

Also is it possible that I could have damaged the hose connecting point entirely?

Photo below (just shows where the leak was, obviously not detailed enough to diagnose the reason):

(Any tips on rear piston winding and how to know if its seized also appreciated... )

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    the hose is crimped on at this point... if you have bent the hard pipe and fractured it then the only thing you can do is to replace the whole pipe/hose... its a one piece affair...

They aren't designed for that type of movement and if it wasn't wet before but now is then chances are you have damaged it during the process..

Sorry dude...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks - you mean I just need to replace this hose and I'm good? i.e. this: hose

How easy is the job in terms of getting to the connecting point (which I couldn't even see when I was looking today)?