Chris NottEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Tool for winding brake calipers?

Will be changing my rear brake discs and pads at the weekend and don't have a tool to wind the calipers back. As yet I haven't had a look at the calipers to see if I can utilise something else. Therefore have any of you improvised and used something else or do I really need to get the tool? If so how much are they roughly?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Tool for winding brake calipers?

long nose pliars

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    The easiest way is to use the tool. And if you need to buy tools to do it anyway id just buy the tool and be done with it

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with you there rich. ive got a sykes pickavant 1 at work and it makes things so much easier, you can get cheaper 1's though from halfords for about 10. invest in 1 and its there if you need it again

smoking a6

Status

i also agree, just done it too, the tool saves much hastle and time, and only a tener at that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

Nice one thanks for the advice, will take a trip to Halfords and get a cheapo one for a tenner me thinks.

1st Gear

Status

Just done my rear pads today. Took a while to figure out what to do but once i realised i had to wind it back, with the tool it was easy!

Serves me right for only owning cars for simple disc systems and brake drums in the past lol!

Neutral

Status

The best option to avoid damaging the caliper is to invest in the proper tool. You can use big "parrot" grips like 16" or so ( they are like pump pliers) clamps etc. Most modern vehicles utilise the rear brake pads as handbrake pads. Older cars tended to have small brake shoes inside the integral brake drum of the brake disc. In moden cars' systems the brake caliper piston turns to adjust the handbrake mechanism. If you don't turn the piston as you push it back in, you can damage the adjustment mechanism. Regards. Paul

imported_fingermouse

once you have the tool you can buy differnet ends for the slightly different styles of rear brakes if I remember correctly ???? I know we have two ends for the one I share with my dad

Senior

Status

With the right tool it takes seconds with no chance of damage as opposed to struggling for what could be an hour with the incorrect tool damaging the piston and having to buy a new caliper.