How To Tell If A ECU Is ME7?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Is there a way of finding out if a ECU is me7 without having to take it out the car and reading what it says on it?

Maybe using vagcom....etc?

If you can find the number and google it, that should help. I know of no way to know without the number and either someone that knows, or googlage

If you have an AUM then yours is ME7.5 (wideband)

VCDS will read the ECU number (starting 8L0 or 06A) when you connect to the controller

<tuffty/>

If you can find the number and google it, that should help. I know of no way to know without the number and either someone that knows, or googlage

What number do you mean mate?

If you mean the part number printed on the ecu then that kind of defeats the issue as it will also have me7 printed on it.

I'm tying to find out what an ecu is with out having to take it out a looking at it.

I thought that maybe there was a way of getting the info using vagcom.

What car, year and engine code you got?

As your user name is a3t id say it's an me3.8

If you have an AUM then yours is ME7.5 (wideband)

VCDS will read the ECU number (starting 8L0 or 06A) when you connect to the controller

<tuffty/>

I know mines a me7 but I'm trying to find out if a mates one is ;)

So would 8L0 or 06A be me7?

What car, year and engine code you got?

As your user name is a3t id say it's an me3.8

I sent you a pm a few days ago.....lol

Simplest way is if it has electronic throttle or not.

M3.8 cars are all cable throttle. ME7 are all electronic.

surely the car it's in, the engine engine configuration will tell you instantly if it's on ME7 or not?

DBW throttle, MAP sensor, and two lamda sensors, and it's on mE7

Simplest way is if it has electronic throttle or not.

M3.8 cars are all cable throttle. ME7 are all electronic.

Not all... Ibizas are DBW but ME3.8
EDIT... actually... I need to check that as I can't remember!!!... Bill will confirm but I seem to remember that the Ibiza ECU was different for whatever reason but I could be wrong as I am old and my brain only works sporadically :)

If its AUM its ME7, AGU is ME3.xx

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Not all... Ibizas are DBW but ME3.8
EDIT... actually... I need to check that as I can't remember!!!... Bill will confirm but I seem to remember that the Ibiza ECU was different for whatever reason but I could be wrong as I am old and my brain only works sporadically :)

If its AUM its ME7, AGU is ME3.xx

<tuffty/>

no mate, ibiza's like silver thing, is me7
dbw=me7 in 1.8t terms typically

simples

no mate, ibiza's like silver thing, is me7
dbw=me7 in 1.8t terms typically

simples

Ta... my old brain confusing me again :banghead:

Dunno why I was thinking it... all we have done is talk about ECU's today too lol...

Ignore my txt by the way... ;P

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys.

I didn't realize that engine code would determine what the ecu would be on.

I would still be interested to know what one out of the 8L0 or 06A would be me7?

Thanks guys.

I didn't realize that engine code would determine what the ecu would be on.

I would still be interested to know what one out of the 8L0 or 06A would be me7?

if you provide the rest of the numbers then it can be confirmed

Would you be able to up load the same gerneick map off a apy late 2000 on to a bam ecu?

How come out of intrest? Is it just down to codes on the ecu? Say like on the old fiesta turbos for instance, the difference between OFAC and OFAB ecu's

How come out of intrest? Is it just down to codes on the ecu? Say like on the old fiesta turbos for instance, the difference between OFAC and OFAB ecu's

checksums? different files? different size memory ecu's between some of them etc etc etc

Some are interchangeable, some arent.

For instance i know that for the 1.8T the "HS" box flash will run on "HN" box hardware as well as a few others.

On the S4 the hardware is the same across most of the ECU's and most of them will run code from another model of ECU, My brothers ECU is an "F" box, but has previously run C box code and is now on D box code.

As for wether your suggestion will work, unless someones tried it before the correct answer is "we dont know"

Cable throttle motronic 3.-.- ecu numbers are all 06a 906 018 with a different letter/s at the end.
DBW with 1 narrowband lambda- All ME7. (1/2 meg ecus)
DBW with 2 lambda sensors ( 1 wide band)- ME7.5 (1meg ecus)

:)

Cable throttle motronic 3.-.- ecu numbers are all 06a 906 018 with a different letter/s at the end.
DBW with 1 narrowband lambda- All ME7. (1/2 meg ecus)
DBW with 2 lambda sensors ( 1 wide band)- ME7.5 (1meg ecus)

:)

Some ME7 came with post cat sensors too

<tuffty/>

The apy in question is DBW with ESP but no post cat sensor, it has a gerneick revo stage 2 map that's why I wondered if the file could be copied and used on the bam

Last edited:
The apy in question is DBW with ESP but no post cat sensor, it has a gerneick revo stage 2 map that's why I wondered if the file could be copied and used on the bam

Well as we've explained above, its a completely different model of ECU. One is ME7 and one is ME7.5. One has a half meg rom and the other a 1 meg rom. For all intents and purposes its like trying to put a game from a Wii into an Xbox.

Further to that, companies like revo will typically "lock" the map to the particular ECU its flashed to, so its not possible to simply dump the image off and whack it onto another ECU.

I just wondered if it was poss and if not why, that's all, cheers for clearing that up :)