Changing Servo Anyone Done It?

Martin82

Reaction score
Ive had a problem with my ESP light coming on and its now been traced to a sensor which is located in the servo, typically you cant just change the faulty part it requires a whole new servo.......£475+ vat then about 5 hours to fit the thing so with vat and everything added in im looking at £900! Needless to say im shocked but its the only way of getting rid of the ESP light but i wondered if its a job anyone has done on here and if so is there a guide? Thanks with icing on top for anyone who can help me - i can handle the price of the servo but the fitting cost and VAT is more than my wallet can take!

may sound silly, but have you actually checked the fuses on top of the battery? they tend to get warm and get covered in melted plastic - mate had the exact same problem.....

Thanks for the reply.........i would certainly hope the auto sparks i sent the car too would have checked this, they've checked all the sensors and the wiring and traced the problem back and say its definitely the servo sensor/pressure....but I'm willing to try anything at this juncture!

Can you remember which fuse it was?

Last edited:
just check all 3 of the fuses on top of the battery..... look for signs of plastic residue on them

mate had his servo and pumps all changed, never fixed it, I turned up and fixed his abs problem within seconds lol

Well ive got the car back this morning, they cleared all the faults and the light stayed off..........for about 10 seconds then came back on again, wasnt a suprise although i was rather joyful it wasnt lit up...........briefly! Anyhow on the receipt theyve put the following "00814 brake pressure solenoid N247.Fault on pressure solenoid appears to be incorporated into servo unit" Ive still yet to try the fuse idea which i will do later.

£475 + vat for a servo? sodd that!

I picked up a good used servo and master cylinder for £35 on ebay! I only needed the master cylinder, so fitted that and threw the servo in the bin!

Get yourself on ebay and try and get a servo from a breaker, it's GOT to be worth trying rather than spending that kind of money.

It's not a difficult job to do, just fiddly and time consuming due to limited access

Reactions: ollie_warren
As an update I've changed all 3 fuses under the bonnet, even waggled around the wiring in the vicinity of the servo, got a surprise when i turned the ignition on to find the ESP light went out, the switch even worked! Then i started the car and the light came back on almost straight away, i then i drove home about 5 miles, had another poke about pulled out the fuses and put them back in again, wangled the wiring again but the light wouldn't go out this time. An hour later i came out to the car started it up the light went out then came back on again...........so looks as though its replacement servo time.

When you guys say servo are you talking about the brake booster pictured here?

brakebooster.jpg

If so then a while back i had a problem with my brake pedal hissing and was told it was probably the servo seal leaking, so i went out and bought a new servo only to find out that the engine would need to be moved to change it.

I cant see where you would plug anything electrical into it though.