A3 gearbox changes

Keiran

Reaction score
I have an a3 1.8 turbo sport Quattro. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any 6 speed gearboxes that will fit my car.

Do you mean are there any forsale? Id suggest contacting an ebay seller breaking a quattro A3. And if you mean what code gear box then contanct a guy called reesey on here and he may have one forsale.

No I just ment like my a3 is a 5 speed so would I b able to stick a 6 speed box of another a3 or s3 onto my engine, cheers.

Yes, you could fit a 6 speed box onto yours, although I dont really see what you'd be gaining to be honest1st gear seems to be too short on te 6 speed, and 6th is about the same as 5th on a 5 speed

Oh rite got ya mate cheers. Just seems like the gear ratios are to short on the 5 speed. Thought the ratios would b higher on a 6 speed. I see what u mean thow so cheers.

too short? the 6 speed is just the same in terms of top speed, I think 5th on the 5 and 6th on the 6 are pretty much the same gear.

the 1.8T doesn't need 6 speed in my opinion, it has a decent spread of torque to haul you along fine in any gear. Any time I've driven 6 speed 1.8T cars I just get annoyed at how often you need to change gear! 1st is also useless as it's too short, and the rest are just closer together.

5 speed boxes you'll hit 60 in 2nd where as the 6 speed you need to change up before you hit 60 and the limiter.

Got ya so better of sticking with a 5 speed then. Cheers lads.

5 speed boxes you'll hit 60 in 2nd where as the 6 speed you need to change up before you hit 60 and the limiter.

Believe it or not, you can actually get ****** close to 80 in 2nd on a 5 speed box! I'm fairly sure a rev limit of 7800rpm (hybrid or BT setup) would see you 80 in 2nd on a 5 speed.

Not that top speeds in gear count, I just don't feel the turbo delivery of the 1.8T warrants a 6 speed, something like hondas K20 that you need to keep on the boil yes, but a torquey turbo motor not so much

I hate the 6 speed box in the S3 personally. I think it has been badly designed and as for ratios leaves a lot to be desired. I can now hit 60+ in 2nd, but that's only due to a raised rev limiter.

I would love a 5 speed box and the 4 wheel drive :(

Got ya mate. Settled my problem. I thought a six speed would have been better all round but by the sounds of things a six speed box would be worse. Think I'll stick with my 5 speed then. Cheers lads