TIE ROD REPLACEMENT. ANYONE?

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Having some difficulties removing it the original one. Anyone got any tips or suggestions or even the official jobbie explaining how to do it!?!?

Any help VERY much appreciated!

Rich

The "official" document for removing the tie rods says that they cannot be removed until the sterring rack has been removed. As far as I know this isn't the case as another member of this forum managed to do his with out removing it on his S3.
At least I think he was talking about the complete rods and not just the ends.

Perhaps send a PM to him??

Sorry that doesn't help you much.

This is what "martin black s3" says in the other thread.

[ QUOTE ]
You can change the tierods without removing the rack, it takes about 2 hours tops to do the job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats good news. Audi recomend removing the rack, but I got underneath my car and said to myself that it wasn't required. Cheers Martin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you do un-screw the tie rods from the rack there is a slot cut into the drivers side rack end where you can put another spaner so you are not twisting the rack internals as you un-screw the tie rods , as I found out this slot is only on the drivers side, so do that one first if you are changing both tie rods and leave the gaitor pulled back so you can still get in with that other spanner to stop the rack internals twisting if you are doing the other side as well, I finnished the drivers side first and then had to cut the clips and pull the gaitor back to gain access to the spanner slot again when I noticed there is no slot on the other side and I was not going to just un-screw the tie rods as they are rather tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gald it worked out in the end.

I take it you don't have a vice? This is what I used on my last car to do the bushes.

Indeed, post some pics when you have time.

[ QUOTE ]
Gald it worked out in the end.

I take it you don't have a vice? This is what I used on my last car to do the bushes.

Indeed, post some pics when you have time.

[/ QUOTE ]
See my other post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif