Looking for inspiration!

thomas-a3

Reaction score
Hi guys.
This is my 1st thread so go easy.

I have recently bought a 2001 A3 1.6 sport.

Been into the dubs scene for a while now but this is my first audi and also VAG car.

Im looking for a bit of inspiration at to what to do with my audi.

No looking for anything stupid because i am only a student. Im just looking for small subtle changes that make the car stand out a bit more. It already has RS4 wheels on (i love them).

Also any recommendations towards power upgrades? Could i get much out of a 1.6? Or am i just better staying standard and saving my money and buying a better car next year?

Regards

Thomas

Hi tom welcome to asn. As for visual mods, you cant go a miss with a lowering kit with coilivers to go with the rims, as for performance id say just a decent induction kit should do as your never going to get any real gains bhp wise but may get better throttle response and a better sound.

if you want power sell and get a 2.0 or tdi
induction is a waste of money on the 1.6 as is exhaust

Cheers for the replys lads.
Bearing in mind im 18 and its costing me 2k to insure, i dont think i can change models just yet.
With the performance side of thing K&N panel filter will probably go in. Thats about it.

I would like to lower it eventually. Thinking more short terms small things.

if you want power sell and get a 2.0 or tdi
induction is a waste of money on the 1.6 as is exhaust

2.0's didn't come in the A3 and are a rubbish engine anyway, the 1.8 non turbo's are terrible and are not enough of an insurance saving over a 1.8t to justify their terribleness, TDIs are well...diesel as well as being more expensive to buy than a 1.8t and not being cheaper to insure, and the 1.6 is just about quick enough for a Polo but is generally a not bad engine but not for anything other than being stuck in town traffic and cheap on fuel. There are NO power gains to be had out of a 1.6 for reasonable money, so I wouldn't waste my time. Go on, put an air filter on it, lower it and declare your wheels and it'll cost you more than a 1.8t would standard.

When you are young, an A3 is a terrible choice of car. I know I sound like an elitist snob, but it is justified because you have to get a pants one for it to be insurable, and to make it look good will cost you more than it would to insure a tidy Mk2 GTI for instance which would be quicker and infinitely cooler.

You want my advice, don't do anything to it. Keep it standard and make it MINT, save your money then sell it in a years time and buy a 1.8T A3. Get it remapped ASAP and you'll think it's amazing.

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm you could lower it, change the interior for some leather,s3 bumpers,spoiler,subtle tints,LEDs brushed steel mirrors,s3 wings

You could do loads to it depends on budget and what you like really, look throo the pics thread for some inspiration

Welcome and have fun dude

2.0's didn't come in the A3 and are a rubbish engine anyway, the 1.8 non turbo's are terrible and are not enough of an insurance saving over a 1.8t to justify their terribleness, TDIs are well...diesel as well as being more expensive to buy than a 1.8t and not being cheaper to insure, and the 1.6 is just about quick enough for a Polo but is generally a not bad engine but not for anything other than being stuck in town traffic and cheap on fuel. There are NO power gains to be had out of a 1.6 for reasonable money, so I wouldn't waste my time. Go on, put an air filter on it, lower it and declare your wheels and it'll cost you more than a 1.8t would standard.

When you are young, an A3 is a terrible choice of car. I know I sound like an elitist snob, but it is justified because you have to get a pants one for it to be insurable, and to make it look good will cost you more than it would to insure a tidy Mk2 GTI for instance which would be quicker and infinitely cooler.

You want my advice, don't do anything to it. Keep it standard and make it MINT, save your money then sell it in a years time and buy a 1.8T A3. Get it remapped ASAP and you'll think it's amazing.

All inputs welcome. I understand what you mean about young drivers and audi's. It a pants car, i know that but from what i had before i love it. I had an 1991 cooper, it leaked from every angle, it wasnt confortable, it cost me a fortune and rusted like the titanic, so my small 1.6 sport is rather luxurious.
As for engines, i know my way round very well having worked in a VAG garage for 2 years. I know the 1.6 is slow an weak but it can get me from a - b for now. To be fair apart from the 1.8t there wasnt many good engines produced back then apart from diesels, an they bring a fortune.
I dont want a 'cool' car either, i had one of those an it did nothing for me.

Thanks for the opinions guys, its cleared up what i though about engine mods so gonna leave it standard. As for styling going to do some small stuff, HID's, maybe a black audi badges and remove the a3 and 1.6 off the boot. I will think of something.

All inputs welcome. I understand what you mean about young drivers and audi's. It a pants car, i know that but from what i had before i love it.

Nobody knows about paying high insurance and wanting to drive nice cars when you are young better than me, I'm 20 and on my 38th car. I was paying £110 a week insurance on a V12 BMW 850IL the week after I passed my driving test. It doesn't matter what you drive, it's how it makes you feel so if you like it and you're happy with it then crack on. Just bear in mind there will come a time when you'll be better cutting your losses and moving up to a 1.8t, suspension, brakes, interior and exterior mods can be transfered onto a 1.8t later up the line. But don't waste money on anything for the engine.

I feel the business rolling to work at 30mph in my Audi stuck in traffic, mines debadged so nobody knows what it is. It's exactly the same with yours; it isn't a pants car in reality it's awesome compared to most 18 year olds smashed up daily smokes, slam it on the floor on some £200 ebay coilovers, put a set of cheap BBS CH replica wheels on it with some fat spacers, a set of angel eye headlights and smoke it about. You'll look awesome, your mates will be totally green and everybody will think you are awesome. Unless it's a rubbish color, then you've got no chance haha

And anyway, everybody knows the people with loads of power don't need to drive fast everywhere. So just double bluff it :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
just weigh up whether or not its worth doing anything to. based on how long you plan on keeping, how much its costing you, and how much it will roughly be when its time to sell. only you can make that decision.

id put time into getting it mint, running well and looking well and service it well. so your able to get as much money back from it as possible when you come to upgrade. its what i did with a 1.2 clio before i got my S3, i patiently waited. its the best thing you can do. and in the end it will all pay off.
see you in years to come with a 1.8t ripping it up :)

Much like what others have said already - you could leave it as it is and save the money you would throw at it for mods for a performance model later. Focus on getting your car looking mint which doesn't cost much other than time, but you should still enjoy the process. I obviously do not have any idea of how much disposable income you have but at the end of the day it is your choice, your money and your time.

Good luck with whatever you do :)

Agree with all of the above, save your money. Keep as standard as performance gains just won't be cost effective. Without a turbo, it just ain't worth it.

However, some nice cheap aesthetic changes that are easy to do yourself include-

Lcr splitter - £30
Paint the calipers - £10 paint
Tints - £100
Paint front grill surrounds - £15
Floor mats - £30
Led lighting - depends £?

These will all greatly change the look of car.

Good luck.

I think bearing in mind what people have said i will not be changing it too much, for the length of time im keeping it, it wouldn't be worth it. It does need some mats tho.
Dont have much change from my insurance, so my job will be the only thing keeping it going, wouldn't mind a private plate. I think i will spend the money on a good service and cambelt and 2 tyres 1st. Then it needs a few marks tidying up and possibly a bonnet respray.

Does anyone know where i can buy a set of genuine non-rubber mats?

Cheers

just weigh up whether or not its worth doing anything to. based on how long you plan on keeping, how much its costing you, and how much it will roughly be when its time to sell. only you can make that decision.

id put time into getting it mint, running well and looking well and service it well. so your able to get as much money back from it as possible when you come to upgrade. its what i did with a 1.2 clio before i got my S3, i patiently waited. its the best thing you can do. and in the end it will all pay off.
see you in years to come with a 1.8t ripping it up :)

couldnt of said it better myself!! good things come to those who wait buddy