s3 amk cam cover gasket

Not an S3 but same sort of thing...
VWVortex.com - DIY: 1.8T Valve Cover Gasket replacement w/ Pics

Just need to remove the charge pipe and the charge pipe bracket at the back... the heat shield on the back prevents the back corner (cyl 4) of the cover from lifting up over the stud so you may have to force it over a bit with a large screwdriver or undo the 13mm bolt on the back... access is tight on that one..

<tuffty/>

While the guide doesn't indicate how you use the sealant, you do not need to slap it everywhere... the new gaskets are more than capable of sealing...

I always use VAG sealant... the same stuff used for sumps... clean everywhere the gasket sits with brake cleaner and a rag before replacing... use a blob of sealant where the grooved bits of the VVT unit meet the head and a smear in the half moon recess opposite the exhaust cam (one at the back)

IMAG0540.jpg

Do the same for the cam sprocket end too... just needs a blob in the groove where the flat bit of the gasket turns into the bit that fits in the groove...

<tuffty/>

I would also look at your chain tensioner gasket to see if that's leaking and if it is then replace that at the same time, I didn't so had to do it all again to do the chain tensioner gasket. I was loosing 1L every 1000 miles :-(

Good shout and is only about a fiver for the metal gasket and the half moon seal that is under the VVT/tensioner

Trickier to do in situe than with the inlet cam removed but did one last week on an A3... found I gained more working room under the tensioner by using the tensioner tool to compress it...

<tuffty/>

Rather than start a new thread. Does anyone have the part numbers for the cam cover gasket set, VVT gasket and half moon seal for an AMK?

Cheers.

EDIT: For AMK (not sure about any others) the valve cover gasket appears to be 058198025A and the VVT gasket and half moon seal is 058198217

Last edited: