Where can I find a feed for the lights

dougie175

Reaction score
I had a day off today so decided I would go about installing some LEDs in my footwells that I have had sat around.

I got some nice red strips installed and coming on nicely with my headlights, however I took my feed from the passanger A Pillar as it seemed a nice simple place to work and find a live, however the leds work perfect with the ignition off and the lights on but as soon as I turn the ignition on the damn lights go out lol

Where is the simplest place on a 2002 face lift A3 to get a feed from the lights? I know on the older models you can just remove the ash tray, but the face lift it does not seem as simple.

Thank You

i would have thought the easest place to get a live light feed would be from the lights on the vents they work with the headlights and stay on with the ignition also you could take the drivers side from the driver vent and the passengers from that side

Rob

Cheers Rob how do the vents come out?

I took a look at the feed direct from the headlight switch, but there wasnt really enough room to work.

would have thought they just pull out , i would get a couple hook things go inside through the vent and pull coat hangers sound good but woodern ones as the hook won't bend give it a try but watch you don't break them their not cheap to replace

Rob

I hooked mine up the the back of the head light switch so they can be dimmed with the rest of the lights ;)

You can still remove the ash tray on a 2002 very easily.

to remove storage compartment , there are two plastic tabs in the top of the compartment about half way in. You need to push those with a screwdriver whilst pulling the compartment out.

Then once that is removed you will be able to see two black plastic clips holding the ash tray into the dash on a flat piece of metal, push these with a screwdriver and the ashtray will come out.

Once it is out remove the power feed at the rear.

This feed has the illumination 12v feed. I used this and the earth cable on this part of the loom to connect my footwell lights