2.0 TFSI Coil Packs on a 1.8T

Bit of R&D happening over at Badger5 ;P
20120902_171907.jpg

<tuffty/>

Reactions: weerabmc
Come on, spill the beans tufty!! Most of us are running these anyway lol.

Argh i see now haha, the photo didnt upload haha. So how much these going to be?

Yup, im one mate, would like to fit the spcaers for looks but also on cylinder 4 mine keeps popping up so hopefully these would help.

If its just the spacers then these are just engine bay dressing. Loads of us have been running these coil packs without any spacers for months.

Yes mate I know... I have too... these are for those that want them and should be a decent enough price too from what I understand... made from the same material as the phenolic gaskets so a little more heat friendly...

<tuffty/>

Yes mate I know... I have too... these are for those that want them and should be a decent enough price too from what I understand... made from the same material as the phenolic gaskets so a little more heat friendly...

<tuffty/>

Ahh nice idea on the material. I assume it's cheaper then using anodised aluminium too.

Thought some tests had been done and results were disappointing?

Tests on the coils but not adaptors... Adaptors will still be required for people with the bolt down coil packs wanting to go to TFSI packs (not AGU unless doing an ICM delete)...

<tuffty/>

Ahh nice idea on the material. I assume it's cheaper then using anodised aluminium too.

I would imagine so but I don't really have any involvement in the money side of things so Bill will post up prices no doubt when its all finalised... can be painted any colour easily too... (even plasti-dip ;P)

<tuffty/>

[Dave B];1698977 said:
Any update on time frames for these B5 adaptors? I'm in the market for some at the moment....

Funny enough I was talking to Bill this weekend about them... I will remind him when I speak to him next unless he spots this first...

<tuffty/>

Thanks dude.

Mildly related....what is the consensus on spark plugs to match 2.0TFSI coils on a K04 powered car?

[Dave B];1699005 said:
Thanks dude.

Mildly related....what is the consensus on spark plugs to match 2.0TFSI coils on a K04 powered car?

Either NGK BKR6E (copper and change regularly), BKR6EIX (iridium's) or std PFR6Q (platinum's)... gap to 0.85mm

<tuffty/>

Already posted this in my build thread but worth posting here as its relevant

Fellow ASN'r Aragorn sent me an interesting link to one of the yank sites... interesting in particular as it was totally down my OEM street...

20130223_092433.jpg

20130223_092537.jpg

...yes... thats right... actual OEM (from VAG) coil pack adaptors suitable for TFSI coils... they need trimming for use on cam covers with push down coils though as you can see they protrude out the bottom... the engines these come from (VAG V8's typically) used the bolt down type of coil originally... guess VAG decided this would be an easier way to migrate over to push downs rather than retool for new cam covers...

This how they sit pre-modding...
20130223_092815.jpg

20130223_092823.jpg

Time to get the dremel out...
20130223_100300.jpg

...note that you need to be sure you have trimmed it right as due to the nature of the fixings they won't take too kindly to being removed and refitted too many times...

So, final fit...
20130223_100631.jpg

With the TFSI coil pack in...
20130223_100658.jpg

...and comparison to a coil not using an adaptor....
20130223_100754.jpg

All in all a great result... while they may not look as 'bling' as the aluminium ones kicking about they work out at about £2 each from a dealer (part number in the pic below)
20130223_092512.jpg

For bolt down cam covers they look a bit like this....
20130223_101303.jpg

Couple more pics... sorry it was getting dark by the time I had gotten around to sorting the others...

20130223_173829.jpg

20130223_174050.jpg

Pleased with my adaptors that cost less than a tenner :)

<tuffty/>

Would this upgrade give better MPG?
Sparking the fuel more efficiently i would be under the impression it would.

and 2. it looks to be a fairly straight forward procedure even for the most non mechanic ******?

JJ.

Tuffty did you notice any difference using the TFSI coil packs?

I wonder if it will feels anything on my stage 1 AMK

There is no evidence that they give any performance figures, so you won't feel anything. From what I have read, they allow you to run a bigger spark plug gap, which is supposed to create a better burn in the chamber. Who knows how anyone is going to prove that.
I was running TFSI in my AMK with stage 2, got new 1.8t coil packs now and when I had the stage 2 map there was no difference at all.
stock map now because its too hot here in Dubai.

i think TFSI are just more reliable than the 1.8t coil packs.

Don't bother, I can't tell any difference.

Only worth doing if you have an issue with them all ready tbh.

No gains have been reported.....just more smoothness in the delivery.

Since I had mine remapped mid last year I've been getting the odd hiccup on cold start ups- so hopefully some new tfsi coil packs will bring it all up to date again and run more smoothly :)

So I've got myself some Tfsi coilpacks, oem plastic adapters and a set of NGK BRK7E spark plugs.

Looking to fit it all this weekend and just want to double check what gap I should/can run with these....I've seen mentions of 0.8 and 0.85

My spec is in my sig- basically stage 1 with DP and sports cat.

These guys stock all these bits, tempted to get it all here. Including what I'd need for my AGU.

These guys stock all these bits, tempted to get it all here. Including what I'd need for my AGU.

Wah?....

TFSI coils won't work on an AGU.... (unless you do an ICM delete but thats a bunch of other work...)

<tuffty/>

Its not too much work, change the connectors for the coils and bridge the appropriate wires at the ICM connectors.

So finally red or black TFSI coil packs are better?
I have the following part numbers:

RED MKV FSI Coil Packs - 06E 905 115
BLACK MKV FSI Coil Packs - 07K 905 715 F
BLACK MKV TSI Coil Packs - 06F 905 115 F

Which ones to go for?

Also a friend got Beru ones numbered: 0040102061, and they correspond to VAG part number: 077 905 115t
What are these?

Last edited:
Had the misfire light flashing at me today.. no evidence as to when the coil packs were replaced so time to join the TFSI coils club ;-)

PSI-Tuning the cheapest place to get them from? £80ish for all four?

Just looking some confirmation before pulling the trigger.

I've a 2002 BAM engined S3 and I'm looking to purchase a set of the black coil packs 07K 905 715 F and then get the OEM adapters 077 905 390 from Audi.

I've seen these black ones on Awesome's website with an ECS Tuning product code. I spoke to someone at Awesome who are recommending the red ones along with their own adapters, but does anyone know if the black ones are the same black ones I'm looking for? Seems like a good price for 4.

Genuine Black VAG Ignition Coil Pack Set 2.0TFSI / 2.0TSI - S3 (8L) - Audi - Shop By Car | Awesome GTI

Just thought I'd update this incase it helps anyone else. I went ahead and ordered the black coil packs linked above and they are def 7K 905 715 F

Awesome are also selling the OEM plastic push down adapters for £6.91 for a set of 4 so it saved me a separate trip to dealers :)

Just thought I'd update this incase it helps anyone else. I went ahead and ordered the black coil packs linked above and they are def 7K 905 715 F

Awesome are also selling the OEM plastic push down adapters for £6.91 for a set of 4 so it saved me a separate trip to dealers :)
These arrived today - 4 x "adapters" from VW dealer (P.N 077-905-390) £6.36 and 4 brand new TFSI coil packs from Germany (P.N 07K 905 715F) for £40! That included delivery!

Inspirational, as always Tuffty.....

Wish I bought a few sets of coils at that price......