Hi new to site and need some advice..............

A3driver

Reaction score
Hi, have A3 early 2000 model 140,000 miles. had hesitation problem with car, sounded quite muffled and throaty if that makes sense. felt like even with foot hard to floor it wasnt going anywhere. not revving properly. blew head gasket, just replaced that but problem stillthere. dont want to blow gasket again so looking for advice. i have just realised that if car starts first time on key with no accelarator at all the car runs fantastic, but if i have to touch the throttle at all to start her thats when the problems begin...... the only option is to pull over and wait til i can start her without using the throttle. Any ideas???

Hi and welcome to the site :)

First thing you will need to do is check for fault codes... what engine code is yours? AUM or AGU? can't remember when the change over was...

All the usual culprits should be checked... vacuum and boost pipes/hoses etc... try running the car with the MAF unplugged to see if things improve (would suggest faulty MAF if it does))

But other than visual checks you really need to check fault codes as it could be explained away simply from any you may have...

<tuffty/>

Hi mate welcome to asn. As for your problems its best to get vag com on it to see if theres any fault codes. Could be coil packs or split boost pipe or breather pipes, most likely ones under the inlet manifold. Good luck.

hi, its a AKL engine. 1.6. there is no engine management light on. tonight i left work and drove for 5 miles abosolutely fine. stopped for 45 mins. started it first time on the key no accelerator needed. pulled away in 1st fine, went into 2nd and immediately it lagged. had to stop and retry starting it...same again, 3rd time drove the mile home no probs. coil pack was replaced about 3 months ago.

Oh thought you had a 1.8 turbo for some reason lol could need a good service, im not sure about the 1.6's

Hi, have had a guy out to track fault codes and he says im showing 3 -
lambda sensor
throttle actuator
and throttle control sensor

im sure it cant be all 3 things gone at once so which would be the best/easiest one to go for.
cheers.