1.8T A3 Maintenance

I

imported_slinx

hi everyone,

My '98 Audi has done £75k and will have a service very soon.

I want to go that extra mile so is there anything else, besides the usual, that i should consider renewing due to general wear and tear?

I'm worried that it's overall performance is slowly worsening, i've begun to notice noises etc and a slight juddering when ticking-over idle. It might be my mind playing tricks, but it doesn't seem as good as it used to!

[ QUOTE ]
hi everyone,

My '98 Audi has done £75k and will have a service very soon.

I want to go that extra mile so is there anything else, besides the usual, that i should consider renewing due to general wear and tear?

I'm worried that it's overall performance is slowly worsening, i've begun to notice noises etc and a slight juddering when ticking-over idle. It might be my mind playing tricks, but it doesn't seem as good as it used to!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

have you had the cambelt changed yet? If so i would get that done. At the same time get the water pump changed. My A3 is not at all smooth at idle...It never has been ever since i had it but obviously worsened when fitting uprated bushes .etc as you feel it more... Im not sure if this is something to worry about or not but i tend not to! Other than that its just the regular. Change the brake fluid if its not been done in the last 2 years.

Rich

Cheers for that. Do you think i'm better off going to Audi to get it all done?

My last service was done by a local garage and now it's reading 'service oil' on the dash. I didn't get a handbook with it, so i'm guessing only audi can turn that off?

sorry, my knowledge is p***-poor!

If i can go elsewhere, then obviously i need to make sure i'm getting decent parts fitted too.

[ QUOTE ]
Cheers for that. Do you think i'm better off going to Audi to get it all done?

My last service was done by a local garage and now it's reading 'service oil' on the dash. I didn't get a handbook with it, so i'm guessing only audi can turn that off?

sorry, my knowledge is p***-poor!

If i can go elsewhere, then obviously i need to make sure i'm getting decent parts fitted too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the country are you based?

Rich

doncaster in Yorkshire.

Difficult finding a widely recommended garage round here.

And all Audi are interested in is doing the most expensive service they've got.

I've asked a couple of places about maintenance/servicing but this site was bound to be more informative!

i wouldnt go to audi unless you intend on taking a wheel barrow full of money to pay um.

go to an independent garage, make sure you get the cambelt, all the pulleys and waterpump done as richa3turbo says, brake fluid change wont cost alot and you could always change the gear oil.

i personally would just get genuine bits but i always do on my cars, or atleast get the timing belt bits genuine, also they are cheaper at vw

the service light can be reset by yourself, i think its :- hold in the trip button, turn ignition on, release trip and turn clock button to the right untill the display shows _ _ _ _

hope this helps

hey thanks for that , i'm going out to give it a try.

A list of stuff for you to check:.

* Air filter condition
* Pollen filter condition (especially if you have smelly aircon)
* Brake fluid level and condition/leaks (as mentioned, should be changed every 24 months)
* Brake pad thickness (wear limit officially 7mm but you can get away with 5mm)
* Bonnet catch lubricate
* Cooling, check antifreeze level content (only use correct type to top up. Should be G12+ (pink colour)
* Door hinge/arresters lubricate.
* Engine oil/filter change
* Gearbox oil check/top up
* Fuel filter (fiddly bitch retaining clips :-( )
* Power steering level/leaks check.
* Ribbed (alternator) belt check/replace.
* Cambelt/water pump replace.
* Spark plug check/replace
* Sunroof slider lubricate.
* Track rod ends check for play.
* Visual under body seal check.

Obviously you don't need to do all these things, but I thought I'd let you know most of the things that audi check.

Sorry for the delay in replying! haven't had chance.

Hopper, the service light thing worked. But i think simply pulling the clock button out and holding it did the trick. thanks.

And paul_brad, yeh it's Moto Technik. I'll give them a buzz, see what £££ i'm looking at. cheers.

Thanks guys for ur input , lists and info of things to check for. At least i won't be running it into the ground like my past motors!