MPG and driving styles??

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Over the last few weeks ive been keeping an eye on miles per gallon,
Not because im overly worried about it, Just to get an idea of what the car does.
Using the same fuel ( tesco momentum) from the same pump...
Driving like a grandma i managed 310 miles doing the same daily drives each day
Driving in my usual style i managed... 310 miles
I know this isnt exact but i worked from full to light on each time.
The car is running Custom Code stage 3 software.
Are these cars either that "good" when mapped or that "bad" around town because of the weight?
wierd but not worrying.

if i drive like a granny i get about 390 to a tank (0 miles remain) driving normally how Mr Audi intended i get about 365 I would say that the S3 is remarkably good on fuel given the performance and weight.

This all began after a "play" with one of the local lads 53 plate STI prodrive packed Scooby, claimed same power as mine, To be fair was neck and neck most of the time. He also has a 60ltr tank but only manages 200 miles per tank.
So compared to that... it is a good figure to be honest

Off boost these engines are still only a 1.8... they are as economical (arguably) as most other 1.8's... get a bit of boost going and all bets are off...

I have got 27mpg before now on my BT config with an unfinished map and driving like miss daisy... that included going up and down a couple of hills and town traffic...

<tuffty/>

The dash display suprisingly was quite good too.
The display indication was only 2 mpg out to the over all calculated figure,
Not bad that realy,

Get yourself a fuelly account and scare the shizzle out of yourself on how much you spend on fuel ;P

<tuffty/>

I've always found how you drive seams to make little difference to mpg round town... Maybe because of the map - it feels nearly full boost by 2500rpm ish....

I think it's a combo of weight and the turbo kicking in fairly low down the rev range that makes them crap in stop start traffic?

Off boost these engines are still only a 1.8... they are as economical (arguably) as most other 1.8's... get a bit of boost going and all bets are off...

I know what you mean.

If i give it a bit of boost for a couple of seconds it knocks 10 miles off my DIS.....lol

my a3 quattro av is 23.9 and im trying to drive normal......map next ye and thats gunna drop even more i know?? GRRRRR

Jesus wept. I'm getting over 700 miles to a tank.

Jesus wept. I'm getting over 700 miles to a tank.

now thats just plain unfair,

my 1.8t always seems to read around the 34-35 mark, thats with a mix of normal driving and a fair bit of spirited driving,
have had 46 a run, but that was driving like a pure saint, needless to say i will never try to do that again - boring as hell

Stage 1 map here, I get 280-350 miles to a tank. It isn't too bad if your as light as possible on the throttle

Its a rare occasion i get 250miles out of a tank of v-power. And thats a 1.8t fwd a3 with a catback miltek.

Either im doing something wrong or my car is being abit greedy for some reason "/