top mounts

addyboult

Reaction score
How do, top mounts require changing and was going to whip them out myself sometime soon, just wondered if anyone else has done this and the complexity of the task, also was going to pick up some oem bits from the tps nearby, but wondered if anyone knew of some better parts to use!
Many thanks
Addy

Use Seat Leon Copra R top mounts. Fit new bearings too while they're off. Took Me 40 mins to do both sides, but that was on a 2 poster lift with air tools!

Not exhaustive but will give you an idea of what to expect...

LCR top mount replacement

Shouldn't take too long but strut top nuts can be a ****** without an impact gun/air tools... have done them out the front of the house using a socket with a bit on top to hold with a spanner and an allen key to stop the damper rod moving... pita but can be done...

I also used a special tool to help spilt the hub enough to get the bottom of the strut out... would advise doing that before undoing the top..

<tuffty/>

Pretty easy, no need to remove the strut completely

I jacked up the car and removed the wheel, then used another jack to raise the wishbone and compress the strut, then tied the spring up with ratchet straps wihile compressed. Undo top fixings, yes it's tricky, use a spark plug socket with an allen key through the square drive hole, spark plug sockets have a hex on them to put a spanner on so you don't need to use a ratchet. Now lower the jack to drop the strut out of the bush. Pull out bush, replace (tight fit), reverse procedure.

It's a quick guide but it's not that hard a job surprisingly.

Cheers for the help guys! Weather permitting ill have this done on Saturday!

There you go Addy, told you there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum :-D

Why to use Cupra R top mounts? Are those stiffer, cheaper or what?

Why to use Cupra R top mounts? Are those stiffer, cheaper or what?

Stiffer... 80 durometer vs 55 durometer according to an independant test...

Makes them a little more expensive of course but generally a lot of the LCR bushes are uprated as std so makes them a nice alternative to poly bushes

<tuffty/>