Jay A3 's 1.8T On-Going Build Thread

So... As my car is over 15years old, I thought I might treat myself to a new fuel pump. Got my hands on a sytec with an 8mm output. Direct replacement.

Easy enough to gain access to. Remove rear seats, peel back carpet and there will be a metal plate held in by 3 screws (Philips)

Then follows a plug and a cap. I found it easier to remove cap with a hammer and chisel. Remove and this will reveal the fuel pump casing. Turns out it was really tricky for me. Carefully remove all the casing, swap over new seals and pump.

Runs ok, not noticed any noise difference but I'm glad it's replaced the old one...

Today I picked up reesy's old fmic crash bar. Looking to upgrade my small intercooler core to the larger one.

I believe I will need to fiddle about with the front bumper a bit to accommodate this.

Reactions: g60leigh and Sandra
Nice one Jay. :) x

Reactions: Jay A3
Thanks Sandra. I'm hoping as the crash bar was measured up before on an A3 that it should sit perfectly then all I need to do is offer up the bumper and trim it.

So another weekend and I get to do a little bit more work...

Swapped crash bars over with the new front mount.

The brackets needed a bit of a tweak. Few extra new holes drilled

The bumper fits on very tight, needs a bit more trimming on the lower grill but it's on! Still got my fogs

Reactions: Stuson and CHEZ
So... After eagerly waiting it is done! I have been converted to a k04. Last year I got my hands on an amk engine with turbo. Ben has rebuilt the block, fitted rods and even got the turbo rebuilt.

Before

Just over an hour later

Engine out

While the gearbox was getting swapped over, we had a look at the clutch. Turned out the clutch springs had a bit of marking and 1 or 2 had quite a bit of play. Ben wasn't happy to fit it so we got our hands on a new g60 clutch kit.

Auxiliaries all swapped over and engine in

Front end all back on and fluids topped up.

NGK PFR6Q plugs x 4
Pas steering fluid (Audi £9.60)
10w40 millers mineral oil
G13 coolant

Went out for test run of five miles and it drove will

V3 relentless has already got a nice bronze to it

Overall I'm well happy. Just the bedding in process now. First oil change later today

Massive thanks to Ben Parsons for all his hard work. Car drives brilliant and looks amazing! Engine out and in all in 1 day! What a legend!

Bed this in then next is a remap!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuson, CHEZ and g60leigh
Forgot to mention got the 3" downpipe from prawn which needed a little bit of fabrication to fit to my exhaust setup.

On my agu the throttle body and cable routed to the driver side, on the amk it's the opposite site so a bracket needed to be made. Again Ben was all over it, new bracket made. Very impressed with how it looks! I will get a pic later

Reactions: g60leigh
Looks good, I'm getting the Sytec pump to.

I got the manufacturer to send me the flow specs versus volts. Flows alot more than the LCR pump, bit less than than a Walbro 255 and is a bargain price.

What are you doing for tuning? Rtech?

Can't wait to fit the ko4 thats in my boot 😀

Thanks. Yeh the sytec pump is running well, no issues. Tuning I pretty certain it will be rtech,. Might be august/September

Yeh drove it home last night through some country roads. Popping down garage soon to change the oil and check exhaust

What tune have you got on currently?
Can't be the stock map. The ko4 should flow more than 160g/s even on actuator pressure

I'm currently running my k03s map which was around 240bhp. Running this one in on actuator pressure

I THINK Jay already had a VR6 MAF and saab injectors fitted on the last ko3S map if I remember rightly? so fuelling and such like should be fairly good still.

Yeh, I'm currently running the 3" maf but with yellow tops for the time being.

Good bit of work on this one, engine is freeing up nicely already and feels good.

It's taken a while to get it sorted but it looks good now :racer:

Done some more miles, not long now till the next oil change. I have a few knocking noises on the exhaust: one it the tail pipes hitting the bumper but I can trim the bumper away more. The other is the downpipe, not exactly sure where as it only makes noise under load. Had it on ramps and a quick check over. Tried to bend any exhaust shielding away more just in case but still makes noise. Needs a bit more investigation. Car does drive nicely and with a ben's special 10psi actuator fitted, I get a little more boost :)

It does. The main reason was I got fed up of the k03s fmic pipe routing... Ben did a great job. Love the work!

I've just stuck mine in today copying your route. Just got to make my brackets and weld the map sensor boss, and n75/dump valve takeoffs. Then trim the bumper to get it back on. Makes the bay look messy but I can go stage 2 now :p

Cheers but I doubt I will go wmi route... It's still my Daily car

wow dude looks epic!!!! and such fast work omf! keen to see the power and feedback once its mapped and run in

Yeh engine swap in one day. I was so impressed.. Mapping will be around September as rtech are fully booked :(

Reactions: MIGGZ
even me dude hella impressed!

o well gives you time to go through the car 100% and fix little things and change stuff before map

Totally agree. Got a knocking noise on the dp that needs looking at..

I see your car being featured in mags ;) nice work! Oh and you got some air time too.

So I've reached the 1000 miles mark and currently running 10w40 syntha. Engine feels strong, pulls well up to 10-11 psi (actuator pressure) but I think I'm getting a bit of smoke coming out. None on idle only when I'm driving... Haven't actually seen it myself yet as I haven't been able to get anyone to drive by... But slightly concerned

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the little puff of smoke when I followed you at inters from the pub to the airfield. It was almost like a diesel (black) but only a little puff of smoke when you nailed it.

Have you noticed the oil level dropping at all? Did you have the exhaust valves done on the head?

I hope it's just unburnt fuel...
Didn't rebuild the head. It was fairly low mileage. I did have to top up a bit it oil last weekend. Will check again to see if it has dropped a week on

I don't know. I don't see it from where I'm sitting lol. Only when I drive it that smoke comes out.

Black smoke when you nail it is just a bit of excess fuel. Nothing to worry about. Are you on fully synth oil now? If so, it'll consume a little of that for a while.

Still on part synthetic till probably 1500 miles or so. When I apply throttle, moving away etc... I see people backing off quite a bit (assuming it's smoke and not my driving)

Get someone else to diagnose colour, if it's black that's 'ok'. So long as it's not bore washing. I'm sure it'll be 'reet.