my minor mods help :)

deeman88

Watch this space...
Reaction score
hi everyone,

im fairly new to the site and have been visiting quietly and regularly - getting answers but its come to that time for me to ask a few questions.

i have the forge 007p and air filter currently installed on the car.

As a new owner of my A3, im looking to do a few mods to my a3 1.8t listed below:

k03s. I understand i cannot use the standard k03 TIP and need a Silicone one (stated below)
Downpipe and Decat.
I have a 3" downpipe and decat for collection on Thursday and should be an easy bolt on
SMIC.
I am thinking about upgrading to the s3 SMIC unit (or the complete 2 Intercooler setup if its not too much of a problem) as i am not too keen on how the piping on the FMIC for the A3 looks when installed behind an a3 bumper.
Polyflex Dog Bush (Diesel Version)
for the smooth drive, feel connected and longer tyre life i hear everyone talking about
AGU Silicone TIP
a must have for the k03s upgrade
8L Facelift Front and Rear Light
i read that the fronts require a little bit of work, but there's a guide available on here, but he rear should be a straight swap? (Not really performance but they update the look of the car!)
Remap Last But not least!

for the questions:

is there any thing else that i might need to ad to the list before i do the remap that's necessary to run Stage 1?

IMG-20111207-00061.jpg

the two feeds/pipes- are they the oil and water lines needed?
will the turbo be a straight swap, connect those two up, bolt it on etc. or is there anything else i need?

for the s3 intercooler, is it a good idea to go the full way and install 2 intercoolers or will 1 S3 intercooler be fine for the upgrade?

are the a3 and s3 intercoolers identical/interchangeable?

is the Turborevs SMIC any good? how about compared to the s3 IC?

Sorry for the Multiple questions but its what keeps us alive...

thanks

Darlington

hi everyone,

im fairly new to the site and have been visiting quietly and regularly - getting answers but its come to that time for me to ask a few questions.

i have the forge 007p and air filter currently installed on the car.

As a new owner of my A3, im looking to do a few mods to my a3 1.8t listed below:

k03s. I understand i cannot use the standard k03 TIP and need a Silicone one (stated below)
Downpipe and Decat.
I have a 3" downpipe and decat for collection on Thursday and should be an easy bolt on
SMIC.
I am thinking about upgrading to the s3 SMIC unit (or the complete 2 Intercooler setup if its not too much of a problem) as i am not too keen on how the piping on the FMIC for the A3 looks when installed behind an a3 bumper.
Polyflex Dog Bush (Diesel Version)
for the smooth drive, feel connected and longer tyre life i hear everyone talking about
AGU Silicone TIP
a must have for the k03s upgrade
8L Facelift Front and Rear Light
i read that the fronts require a little bit of work, but there's a guide available on here, but he rear should be a straight swap? (Not really performance but they update the look of the car!)
Remap Last But not least!

for the questions:

is there any thing else that i might need to ad to the list before i do the remap that's necessary to run Stage 1?

IMG-20111207-00061.jpg

the two feeds/pipes- are they the oil and water lines needed?
will the turbo be a straight swap, connect those two up, bolt it on etc. or is there anything else i need?

for the s3 intercooler, is it a good idea to go the full way and install 2 intercoolers or will 1 S3 intercooler be fine for the upgrade?

are the a3 and s3 intercoolers identical/interchangeable?

is the Turborevs SMIC any good? how about compared to the s3 IC?

Sorry for the Multiple questions but its what keeps us alive...

thanks

Darlington
K03s - You can use a stock k03s tip, or a silicone one.
SMIC - I wouldn't bother with either the single or double smic change. FMIC is the only worthwhile upgrade.
Rear lights - Straight swap, less then 5 mins
Front lights - they do require a bit more work, but nothing major.
Remap - Best mod for small amount of cash spent.

thanks, im not keen on the protruding pipework on a few a3's with FMIC's i have seen and im not keen on my car joining that club, i wanted something clean and useful like the s3's type just until i have enough for a proper FMIC.

S3 SMIC's will still require a lot of pipe work to fit properly... coupled with the fact the A3 inlet is on the other side to the S3 so whatever you do you will need to run similar pipework to that of a FMIC...

You didn't mentio year/engine code of your A3 so another issue my crop up... if you have an AUM engine code then you will need somewhere to relocate the MAP sensor regardless of if you go S3 SMIC's or FMIC... if you have an AGU then this is not a prob as AGU's don't have them...

The S3 SMICs will need joining either using custom pipes or the S3 pipe that fits along the front...

Personally if budget is an issue and you are wanting to go FMIC anyway, leave it and get the rest done first... it won't affect how much power you have so much as how long you will have it before the single SMIC heatsoaks...

Don't mess about with SMICs tbh... do it properly first time...

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffy, i have a 1999 agu, and i have been looking at a few FMICs but the pipes that stick out are what i was trying to avoid really.

i have my k03s , decat & downpipe and silicone tip for the car ready, If i was to remap the car now, is an IC upgrade necessary to handle the power or can it wait until later?

thanks
Darlington

Thanks tuffy, i have a 1999 agu, and i have been looking at a few FMICs but the pipes that stick out are what i was trying to avoid really.

i have my k03s , decat & downpipe and silicone tip for the car ready, If i was to remap the car now, is an IC upgrade necessary to handle the power or can it wait until later?

thanks
Darlington

The SMIC will be ok under normal conditions although you will see performance drop off slightly if you are ragging it a bit... something like a track day though and the SMIC will be next to useless....

Put simply... the FMIC isn't essential but if you plan to make the best use of your new power then its advisable...

<tuffty/>

Once again thanks for the input, i'll do a coin flip in the morning to decide whether to wait for the FMIC or install it after Remap. correct me if im wrong... 'i read that you (the Remap guy, not the driver) can update your remap!,' by update i mean like adding that you have added a few mods etc and working everything out from there without having to pay the full price of the Remap.

Darlington