S3 1.8T AMK - Larger Oil Filter

Y

Yohan87

Looking to service my 1.8T AMK before winter kicks in and whilst reading these forums I've noted that some members use a larger oil filter with part number - 068 115 561f

Does this fit my type of engine as well?

And there seems to be mixed thoughts on flushing the engine our not with regard to whether it should be done and if so what product should be used.

It certainly will fit. Us A4 b5 1.8t owners also fit transporter filters which are even bigger. Im not sure on the clearance on the transverse 1.8t`s but they`ll definitely fit the filter housing anyway.

Standard on the right, middle two are the optional filter you listed and the B6 1.8t option and then on the left its the transporter filter.

5eeb46e7.jpg

Not sure a 'larger' filter would actually fit an S3... the normal one is close to the intercooler pipe that runs across the front as it is and the larger ones are normally fitted to inline engines IIRC not transverse...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/124567-bigger-oil-filter.html

Can't see there being any advantage to doing this at all tbh... I know of cars running 400-600hp that use std filters...

<tuffty/>

Cheers guys,

I should probably mention that the 1.8T AMK in question is fitted to a VW Bora with an FMIC so the space available will be different to the S3 normal setup.

It was more just a case of "If I'm going to be replacing it, then if a bigger one fits it can't do any harm?".

Wont do any harm at all. If you go with just the normal optional filter you have to use an extra 0.4 oil.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the car today and see what space is available.

Just reserved the "068 115 561 B" filter from my local TPS (surprisingly cheap, about £5) and will be doing an oil change this weekend.

It looks like I may have room for the even larger transporter filter but I thought for at least this change I'll play it safe and see what room is left.

Is there any difference between the "068 115 561 B" and the "068 115 561 F"?

If anything the "561 B" I've ordered looks a tiny bit bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
The B is about 2mm taller than the F. Otherwise no difference lol

Hi ,

Been watching this and would like to add something for the people who have a 1.8t with transverse engine in case they don t like the way the bigger filter fits...I had the B version on my toledo 1.8t auq and it fits no problem but I had to put some cardboard to protect the lower radiator hose from the oil filter..and I researched the net further to find a oil filter with the same specs as the stadard one(mann w719/30 aka 06A 115 561 B) and I found one.. same thickness but longer...have it on my car and has the same bypass setting ..its a mann w730/1 or the mahle oc221 .

The only difference is the length...stock one is around 120mm long and w730/1 is 170mm long :) and there is no need for me to put anything to protect the coolant hose .

As for the bigger thicker one I am also going to try the mann equivalent of mahle oc470/068 115 561 F wich is W 940/66
clear.gif
...and since its used in the latest 1.8t cars like seat exeo I guess it superceeds the w940/25 aka 068 115 561 B .

P.s Not sure if its just me but I have the feeling that my car has more torque at low revs with the bigger oil filter ?!

I thought I d share this :)