uprated or OEM engine mounts?

moredoor

Reaction score
Hi all, Did a track day at Bedford last month and on most left hand corners I was hearing an odd knocking sound, almost like the engine was hitting the body, as it turns out the mount that goes across the timing belt cover was hitting the body, that's almost 20mm of sideways movement so time for some new engine mounts. Has anyone used uprated engine mounts and if so which ones and how do you find them.

THS ones have served me well for a couple of years and are relatively cheap... if you want no nonsense work all day long ones then go for Vibratechnics mounts.... currently on my to do list :)

<tuffty/>

I use the Vibratechnics mounts, haven't got any other mounts to compare them to other than OEM but they seem good. More vibrations but only what would be expected.

I use the Vibratechnics mounts, haven't got any other mounts to compare them to other than OEM but they seem good. More vibrations but only what would be expected.

They should settle down though... was the same when I first fitted the yellow dogbone bush and first fitted my THS mounts... idle was the worst but soon dies off...

Every car I have driven with VT mounts feels soooo connected... was going to get a set fairly soon but other things have cropped up of course... rubbarsh...

<tuffty/>

THS - avoid!!

I bought THS ones, the last set available. 3 months later on normal road use they completely collapsed! Leaked fluid everywhere, caused major grief. Did manage to get a full refund from Ollie, THS via PayPal. Just had new OEM ones fitted (by Midland VW, Cannock) which are fantastic, recommend these for road use (with occasional track use). I have a rear dogbone mount with Powerflex red (diesel) large bush & OEM rubber small bush. Unless you have the spare cash for Vibratechnics ones or go on track alot? I've used a set of these previously on another car with quite a lot of vibration (too much just for road use, made my girlfriend sick). My track day Civic EG has very rigid poly mounts and vibrates alot (used on my own!).

OEM Parts - 8N0199555C - gearbox £245.83, engine side 1J099262CL £71.45
Powerflex red (diesel) mount PFF85-420R G04 £15.80 from Awesome, Manchester

(all inc VAT)

Hope that helps!

Al

Last edited:
not cheap £150 per side. Anyone know how much oem ones are ?

VT mounts come in road and race versions... have fitted race ones to a couple of Ibizas and a Polo with a BT... they were quite harsh in fairness... have been in (and driven) a BT A3 though with road mounts in (same as Lee's) and that was fine although you could feel more vibrations than normal on idle of course... the Polo vibrated like mad at 4k....

I see your point on the THS ones.... fluid though??? mine are getting 'wobbly' now but having seen quite a few cars running on the dyno my engine with THS mounts still moves much much less then cars on std mounts (1.8t's of course....)

<tuffty/>

I agree with tuffty the road version Vibratechnics mounts are not too bad at all. Slight vibrations on idle but other than that not massively noticed, especially not enough to make your girlfriend sick! lol. A good buy in my opinion.