Home made boost leak tester.

Westy

Reaction score
Ok, I've got to the stage where I'm fed up of boost leaks appearing every other week and am thinking about making a boost leak tester for home.

Now as far as getting compressed air into the boost system can I use something as simple as an electronic tyre inflater as I wont need much more than 30psi. Or will it be better to invest in a small air compressor?

the compressor will fill the system quicker than the tyre inflater but a good tyre inflater will do just as good a job getting the air in for you to find leaks.

Since you do LNM, It might be worth investing in a tidy 2hp 50litre or so compressor for some basic air tools.

Last edited:
I have a boost leak tester that you can have for cheap m8 :) PM me :)

A tyre inflator wont cut it. The engine leaks down anyway thru the valves and piston rings, so you need to get the air in there quickly, which means you need a compressor with a storage tank. Its also much better to be able to charge the tank, shut the compressor power off, and do the leak test using the stored air so you can hear any hissing of escaping boost without the compressor rattling away in your ear.

Either one you've linked is probably ok. The second one claims to be more powerful (2hp rather than 1.5) but its also some unheard of brand, whereas i have heard of einhell before.

I'll be running the air through the FMIC boost hoses from charge pipe to inlet mani so wont be loosing any through the seals.

I think i'll go for the 2hp one and can hopefully rig up a few air tools too.

Surely it makes sense to test everything including the manifold gaskets and injector seals?

Simply remove the maf and fit the tester in its place, blank the PCV line and pressurise the lot.

Well the point is to test the whole system as it is on the car.

By removing the pipes, testing them as a closed circuit, then reconnecting, you dont actually know for instance if your clamps are tight enough once reattached, and the moving around of everything could disturb components.

By testing the complete circuit attached to the engine as it will be when your actually driving, your covering everything, including any potentially hidden split hoses under the manifold or even a leaking gasket or whatever.

All this effort and talk of buying compressors..can you not just take it to get smoke tested? lol

Fair enough. The prospect of airtools at home is pretty awesome. Even when i borrowed a mates electric impact wrench it was pretty sweet. Made things so much quicker and easier when i did my clutch on the Civic.

i fired the pistons out of my brakes this weekend with an air compressor - interesting :)

yeah, i had fun trying to blow the last piston out with 3 blank cylinders. Now I, like you were, are flumaxed by the dam dustboots