EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    6th Gear

Status

fuel pump or filter??

took the car to r tech last week and nick pointed out that fuel filter or pump hasn't been changed in years.

he pointed on the driver's side infront of the rear wheel.just need to know orbital the pump of filter. if its the filter ons give the mechanic a piece of my mind as i though a filter change was part of a service

2. # ADS
    ADS

Another S3 owner....

Status
    i didn't think the fuel filter is supposed to ever get changed in any service
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

5th Gear

Status
    im not sure where the fuel pump is, but the filter is deffo in that location, just in front of fuel tank
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    The pump is inside the tank.

The filter is not part of any service schedule, so its unlikely to ever have been changed.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

5th Gear

Status
    really? when i purchased a service kit from Allparts the local motor place near me, i was handed a fuel filter. weird
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Fuel pump can be accessed under the rear seats and sits in the fuel tank. The filter is just under the side skirt on the drivers side.

They aren't part of a service but only cost around £10 so I change mine every year now.

I've seen some that have got so bad that they have split and leak fuel on the ground. Get it changed mate.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    I've seen a genuine one corrode through and leak significantly. Worth a change, easy to do.

6th Gear

Status
    thanks for clearing that up guys. ok I can just about take a wheel or my car lol what's involved in changing fuel filter? r tech said be careful as fuel lines can snap then I got a long walk home lol. I'll do it this week

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    thanks for clearing that up guys. ok I can just about take a wheel or my car lol what's involved in changing fuel filter? r tech said be careful as fuel lines can snap then I got a long walk home lol. I'll do it this week
    It's a small cylinder the size of a can off coke that has a fuel line in each end. Get a decent light on the line ends and you'll see the clips, they have a push in butting/flap that needs to be in before you pull them off. Also expect to get a bit of fuel come out.

I tend to de pressurise the fuel system buy pulling out the fuel pump fues then turn the car on and let it conk out, this will ensure no pressure in the lines.

Do a google search as this has been covered loads of times.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    I dont know about easy, mine is solid not sure how to remove it, just spent £1000 on a new clutch so I asked the nice man if he could change the fuel filter whilst doing my clutch, like the others I to got a service filter kit and thats the only one I cant get off so left it for the expert, picked the car up three days later the new fuel pump in the passanger foot well, he didn't have time, ******** three days

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy lynn View Post
    I dont know about easy, mine is solid not sure how to remove it, just spent £1000 on a new clutch so I asked the nice man if he could change the fuel filter whilst doing my clutch, like the others I to got a service filter kit and thats the only one I cant get off so left it for the expert, picked the car up three days later the new fuel pump in the passanger foot well, he didn't have time, ******** three days
    I didn't say the fuel pump was easy! That was a slag of a job but the filter is easy considering it's only 2 clips.

If anyone is unsure and not used to doing any more than a wheel change on a car then I'd suggest taking it to a garage.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    Sorry Westy, you made it sound easy, the garage that changed my clutch are Audi experts or so they claim ,I'm just unlucky with garages,
    I put the car in to have the motor switch done on the front seat main dealer Maistone Audi took five days and £500.00 us girls do get robbed. LOL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy lynn View Post
    Sorry Westy, you made it sound easy, the garage that changed my clutch are Audi experts or so they claim ,I'm just unlucky with garages,
    I put the car in to have the motor switch done on the front seat main dealer Maistone Audi took five days and £500.00 us girls do get robbed. LOL
    A garage pulled the heater fuse out of one of my girlfriends cars and told her the heater control unit needed replacing for £200. Luckily she said she'd come back and then I looked at the car. New fuse and was sorted. I've told her not to use that garage again. Robbing gits.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    I was joking about only being able to take the wheel off.I do most things on my car apart from the serious stuff etc.i'll give it a try as I won't learn otherwise.will see what happens this weekend!

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    As westy says for a tenner its worth changing the fuel filter, the fuel that came out of mine when removed was a really murky dark colour.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    pump and filter are both easy jobs to be honest, neither take long, or are difficult.

If you don't fancy it, we can do it at mine when you pop down for injector cleaning if you're still up for that.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Yeh is like that prawn thanks
    so all in I need a fuel filter,will prob do oil filter at the same time,oil,throttle body gasket and carve cleaner.let me know if I've forgotten anything

cheers

Neutral

Status
    Where sells the best priced pumps, would really want a Bosch or Pierburg. Euro's seem to be about £176 for Pierburg.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by supreme View Post
    Where sells the best priced pumps, would really want a Bosch or Pierburg. Euro's seem to be about £176 for Pierburg.
    If after a pump to replace the intank one then buy a VAG one end of... westy has ducumented his woes with 'pattern' parts from the likes of GSF/ECP... OEM pump is VDO iirc..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    ^^^ Thanks, cheers for the very fast response

3rd Gear

Status
    out of curiosity, is there in upgrades in term of fuel pump?
    Audi S3 AMK
    Relentless-Manifold, Relentless-3" downpipe decat, Forge 007 DV, autobahn88 TIP, K&N Panel filter, EBC yellowstuff brake pads, R32 ARB, Custom column dual gauge pod...waiting for a remap!

For help/info/pricing on xs manifold and downpipe pm me (not affiliated, nor a reseller trader, just an enthusiast!)

2nd Gear

Status
    i had the same problem with mine. previous owner had no idea it wasnt covered in the service and therefore has only recently been changed.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Get a decent light on the line ends
    haha, just been redirected here from the other thread currently 'trending'. I have a picture of someone under their car with a lighter looking at their fuel filter...lol
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos