fuel pump or filter??

Paradox1

Reaction score
took the car to r tech last week and nick pointed out that fuel filter or pump hasn't been changed in years.

he pointed on the driver's side infront of the rear wheel.just need to know orbital the pump of filter. if its the filter ons give the mechanic a piece of my mind as i though a filter change was part of a service

i didn't think the fuel filter is supposed to ever get changed in any service

im not sure where the fuel pump is, but the filter is deffo in that location, just in front of fuel tank

The pump is inside the tank.

The filter is not part of any service schedule, so its unlikely to ever have been changed.

really? when i purchased a service kit from Allparts the local motor place near me, i was handed a fuel filter. weird

Fuel pump can be accessed under the rear seats and sits in the fuel tank. The filter is just under the side skirt on the drivers side.

They aren't part of a service but only cost around £10 so I change mine every year now.

I've seen some that have got so bad that they have split and leak fuel on the ground. Get it changed mate.

I've seen a genuine one corrode through and leak significantly. Worth a change, easy to do.

thanks for clearing that up guys. ok I can just about take a wheel or my car lol what's involved in changing fuel filter? r tech said be careful as fuel lines can snap then I got a long walk home lol. I'll do it this week

thanks for clearing that up guys. ok I can just about take a wheel or my car lol what's involved in changing fuel filter? r tech said be careful as fuel lines can snap then I got a long walk home lol. I'll do it this week

It's a small cylinder the size of a can off coke that has a fuel line in each end. Get a decent light on the line ends and you'll see the clips, they have a push in butting/flap that needs to be in before you pull them off. Also expect to get a bit of fuel come out.

I tend to de pressurise the fuel system buy pulling out the fuel pump fues then turn the car on and let it conk out, this will ensure no pressure in the lines.

Do a google search as this has been covered loads of times.

I dont know about easy, mine is solid not sure how to remove it, just spent £1000 on a new clutch so I asked the nice man if he could change the fuel filter whilst doing my clutch, like the others I to got a service filter kit and thats the only one I cant get off so left it for the expert, picked the car up three days later the new fuel pump in the passanger foot well, he didn't have time, ******** three days

I dont know about easy, mine is solid not sure how to remove it, just spent £1000 on a new clutch so I asked the nice man if he could change the fuel filter whilst doing my clutch, like the others I to got a service filter kit and thats the only one I cant get off so left it for the expert, picked the car up three days later the new fuel pump in the passanger foot well, he didn't have time, ******** three days

I didn't say the fuel pump was easy! That was a slag of a job but the filter is easy considering it's only 2 clips.

If anyone is unsure and not used to doing any more than a wheel change on a car then I'd suggest taking it to a garage.

Sorry Westy, you made it sound easy, the garage that changed my clutch are Audi experts or so they claim ,I'm just unlucky with garages,
I put the car in to have the motor switch done on the front seat main dealer Maistone Audi took five days and £500.00 us girls do get robbed. LOL

Sorry Westy, you made it sound easy, the garage that changed my clutch are Audi experts or so they claim ,I'm just unlucky with garages,
I put the car in to have the motor switch done on the front seat main dealer Maistone Audi took five days and £500.00 us girls do get robbed. LOL

A garage pulled the heater fuse out of one of my girlfriends cars and told her the heater control unit needed replacing for £200. Luckily she said she'd come back and then I looked at the car. New fuse and was sorted. I've told her not to use that garage again. Robbing gits.

I was joking about only being able to take the wheel off.I do most things on my car apart from the serious stuff etc.i'll give it a try as I won't learn otherwise.will see what happens this weekend!

pump and filter are both easy jobs to be honest, neither take long, or are difficult.

If you don't fancy it, we can do it at mine when you pop down for injector cleaning if you're still up for that.

Yeh is like that prawn thanks
so all in I need a fuel filter,will prob do oil filter at the same time,oil,throttle body gasket and carve cleaner.let me know if I've forgotten anything

cheers

Where sells the best priced pumps, would really want a Bosch or Pierburg. Euro's seem to be about £176 for Pierburg.

Where sells the best priced pumps, would really want a Bosch or Pierburg. Euro's seem to be about £176 for Pierburg.

If after a pump to replace the intank one then buy a VAG one end of... westy has ducumented his woes with 'pattern' parts from the likes of GSF/ECP... OEM pump is VDO iirc..

<tuffty/>

i had the same problem with mine. previous owner had no idea it wasnt covered in the service and therefore has only recently been changed.

Get a decent light on the line ends

haha, just been redirected here from the other thread currently 'trending'. I have a picture of someone under their car with a lighter looking at their fuel filter...lol