ko3s vs ko4?

Paradox1

Reaction score
not your typical thread here,just looking for reviews of people who have owned both setups bearing in mind this will be on a fwd.I currentlt have a stage 2 ko3s but I'm looking to upgrade at some point in the new yr. all comments welcome!

K03 hybrid is the way forward, putting a k04 on would take alot of extra mods, where as the hybrid would be bolt on.

K03 hybrid is the way forward, putting a k04 on would take alot of extra mods, where as the hybrid would be bolt on.

While a K03 hybrid is technically a bolt of there is still enough work involved to get it running... a 210/225 (S3, TT, LCR) MAF housing, 210/225 (S3, TT, LCR) injectors, custom map and arguably rods... more so on a the spiky K03 hybrid than a std K04...

Would also need a silicon TIP etc...

The advantage of the K03 hybrid on a K03 engine is you can reuse the mods you may already have made... 3" DP, FMIC etc....

The K03 exhaust manifold is less restrictive than the K04 one too

<tuffty/>

While a K03 hybrid is technically a bolt of there is still enough work involved to get it running... a 210/225 (S3, TT, LCR) MAF housing, 210/225 (S3, TT, LCR) injectors, custom map and arguably rods... more so on a the spiky K03 hybrid than a std K04...

Would also need a silicon TIP etc...

The advantage of the K03 hybrid on a K03 engine is you can reuse the mods you may already have made... 3" DP, FMIC etc....

The K03 exhaust manifold is less restrictive than the K04 one too

<tuffty/>

Yeh theres alot involved either way, but atleast it fits without changing exhaust mani aswel.

Going to check out a k03 tomorro and if i get it im going to have ago at taking it apart :) beachbuggys thread has inspired me to have ago as its probly the only way il own a ko3 hybrid as im not paying big money on my daily wopper.

I take it a k03 from an agu would be able to be hybrid? ( not saying ill succeed but im having ago non the less lol)

Yeh theres alot involved either way, but atleast it fits without changing exhaust mani aswel.

Going to check out a k03 tomorro and if i get it im going to have ago at taking it apart :) beachbuggys thread has inspired me to have ago as its probly the only way il own a ko3 hybrid as im not paying big money on my daily wopper.

I take it a k03 from an agu would be able to be hybrid? ( not saying ill succeed but im having ago non the less lol)

I'll get a take apart/rebuild thread up this week for all those that asked.

All ko3s can be hybrideded. All havr same housings. You'd need to buy a ko4 too. And have it machined

Not strictly true. It depends on what hybrid you build. The k03s has a larger compressor housing so it will take a k04 compressor but leaves a thin outlet where as the k03 wont.

However they will both take k04 turbines and both will take the compressor from the k04-015 which is what most hybrids are made from.

The generic hybrid you buy off the shelf is a k04 shaft/turbine mated to a k04-015 compressor or original k03s which is very slightly larger. I plan on covering both a k03s-020 and a k03-015 hybrid build . Part numbers and machining requirements. The ultimate k03 hybrid though is one that uses the internals from my k04 hybrid in a k03s but has an adapted k04 compressor housing to look like a k03.

Last edited:
thanks for that,will be interesting to read that thread.k04 hybrid inside a ko3s shell sounds my cuppa T.

I got a spare ko3 ready to be rebuilt but was having second thoughts about it

A K03 hybrid when done right can be very quick! My friend has one in his 1.8T Corrado and that thing shifts! In your case, i would choose a K03 hybrid over a K04.

that carrado sounds fun!only problem is I'm not too sure where to get the work done.spoke to a guy a ukmk4s forum and he had endless trouble with a well known company which ended up going to court.

I would like the hybrid to be as reliable as the standard turbo

where's the best place for a turbos rebuild?for reasonable cost and warranty?