headlights new vs old

s3tle

Reaction score
i've just changed my late spec one piece headlights over to my new A3 and put the old shape one on my old A3, always amazes me how much better the new lights look so thought i post a pic!

must say settle uve got a cracking pair there!

i prefer how clear the new ones are but i still like how the old lights have a split that matches the bonnet line, shame they didnt make the 2 piece items as clear as the single piece new ones then i'd be happy at least

The car with the old spec lights looks much lower and aggresive. What bumpers have been fitted to them both, looks good!

I have a new A3 and the lights are quite a talking point in 'our' forum.
Unless they're the xenons,a fair few people seem to think they're pretty rubbish.
Lots of discussions about replacement bulbs etc.etc.
They might looks good,but they don't work very well.

Imo the old style lights look exactly that - old. The new style lights give the car a much more updated look. Almost all new cars have 'one piece' lights these days, as opposed to a seperate indicator pod.

hairdresser! i ain't no lady!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

i think its also a bit disceptive because the old car has coilovers, so does have a much more aggressive ride height, compared to the new car with standard suspension. Got to try and find some time to swap the wheels over too, the 18's should beef it up a bit, then i'm just going to lower it 40-50mm with springs, fed up with the ride from the coilovers!!

the bumper is made by Projektzwo and fitted as part of the optional audi bodykit.

As for the performance of the headlights it really isn't clear cut. The full beam on the new lights is a vast improvement over the old and really does make night driving easier because of how much more you can see. The problem is the dipped beam finishes too close to the car for my liking, and it also finishes with a real line between what is light and dark. I think it really depends on where you drive, i live in the countryside so most of the time i drive with the lights on main beam, so the poor dipped beam doesn't bother me too much but i guess this would be different is you normally used dipped beam.

arent there some decent bulbs available to make dipped beam brighter and also look like xenons, im sure there was a post somewhere..

So did you swap the front wings over as well?

Finally I don't suppose you took any pics of what had to be modified on the front wings to fit the facelift head lights?

[ QUOTE ]
i've just changed my late spec one piece headlights over to my new A3 and put the old shape one on my old A3, always amazes me how much better the new lights look so thought i post a pic!

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for being a dumbass let me get this correct: you originally had a pre facelift car and did the headlamp conversion (correct?) then you've just bought another pre facelift A3 and transferred the lights across? So as Mark says: did you swap the front wings across to the original A3?...why not just buy a facelift A3?

fitting the lamps did you DIY it or take to a bodyshop?

Cheers

Rob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

swapping front wings!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
blimey you'd really have to like a set of lights to go to that lengh!! to fit the lights you only have to cut out a piece of metal about the size of a box of matches, then they just bolt into the same place as old lights. To change the lights over took about an hour and a half and didn't cost me anything extra, hense why i swapped them rather than buy new ones. Its also why i swapped the lights rather than spend 3k on a later model!! which seeing as mine has only done 20k miles wasn't really worth it.

cool! sounds like you ain't scared at cutting into them wings! Did you treat the bare metal on them? I think I'd prefer to let a body shop give this a go over my attempts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rob

the thing is i know what to do from last time, if i did get a bodyshop to do it i'd have to be there to show them exactly what to do. It really isn't hard to do a good job, i used a tile hacksaw (cuts in any direction), then smoothed the edge, painted over the bare metal, then lacuered once the paint was dry. If you got a bodyshop to do it i guess it would cost no more than £50 all in, so like you say is the best idea if your not hack happy like me!!

I like the clearness of the new headlights, but prefer the old style ones for two reasons: The follow the lines of the bonnet and I prefer how the main beam is on the outside next to the indicator instaed of in the inside near the grille.

nice cars mate....

i'm thinking of getting the same front lower bumper section for my '99 A3... but not sure what it'll look like in Casablanca White?!

any pics anyone?

also, i'm gonna do the headlight conversion soon - i remember u took pics when u did the conversion and posted them on the net so i've got the reference to go on!

pics of the headlight conversion would be of use to me please. I aint afraid of a little hacking. As long as its neat and easy to do then great.

Changing the wings sounds a hassle though!

i'm sure my old pics are on the forum some where, do a search, should be there

[ QUOTE ]
that's some good hunting u've done there, Markb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah well if you can't be bothered to use the search function what do you expect?
roll.gif

I found it.

where can u get the angel eyes lights from? &how much?