Pain In The A*s Catch Can Install :-(

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Today i had a go at fitting my catch can (wish i hadn't bothered)...

I started by removing all the old hoses and while removing the hose from the L shaped piece on top of the oil breather it just fell apart in my hands.

So i gave Audi a call and they wanted £30 for a new one and they didn't have it in stock, so i then started phoning around and managed to find a place that had it in stock and it was £ £25.

I thought i may as well carry on with what I'm doing so that i would have everything ready but I've run into another problem...

In this picture it shows all the hosing as one unit but mine is divided into two separate sections as shown in the picture:

img0255edit.jpg

On my “Suction Jet Pump” there is another hose coming off it that goes to a one way valve shown here:

Then that goes to a metal pipe and runs all the way to the intake:

Can someone please tell me what i need to do with this hose?

BTW.... This is what I've removed so far:

Block it off in the TIP and bin the rest?

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate ;)

I thought that would be the case but as it had a one way valve on it i thought it would be best to ask....lol

So that would mean that i would need to block off the two nipples under the manifold and one on the TIP ?

I don't suppose you know what size hose ill need for the nipples under the manifold and what size bolt for the tip do you?

I put 8mm ID hose on dude just a short stubby bit with an 8mm bolt in the end and crimped both ends with jubilee clips.

Chris.

I put 8mm ID hose on dude just a short stubby bit with an 8mm bolt in the end and crimped both ends with jubilee clips.

Chris.

Thanks mate ;)

I think I've still got some goodyear 8mm fuel hose and some M8 thread i can use .

Something i cant get my head around with fitting a catch can is....

If you have say a split in one of the pcv hoses then it will cause a boost leak, but when you take out all the pcv hoses, all the pressure just goes straight into the TIP through the hockey puck.

So how is it that it doesn't cause a boost leak?

I don't have the hokey puck any more, iv blocked off all the vacuum boost that were not needed, and have the one way boat valve in the other place where vacuum would be.

When you remove the PVC crap you seperate the two systems totally, so it can't leak!

Hmmm......

I think i get it, All that's actually going into the catch can is the L piece i had to replace and the rocker cover, And all the ports under the manifold get capped off so there's not any boost going into the catch can.

And the hockey puck stops any boost going back into the catch can from the tip.

Does that sound about right?

Yes that sounds right to me. I joined the group buy about a year or so ago for the Saikomichi catch can. I have a BAM. The hose from the crank case (via the L-piece you replaced) joins the hose from the rocker breather via a T-piece and this then goes into the catch can inlet. The outlet from the catch can goes into the TIP via the hockey puck. Blank off the rest. It was a PITA job to do, but good once done.

Yes that sounds right to me. I joined the group buy about a year or so ago for the Saikomichi catch can. I have a BAM. The hose from the crank case (via the L-piece you replaced) joins the hose from the rocker breather via a T-piece and this then goes into the catch can inlet. The outlet from the catch can goes into the TIP via the hockey puck. Blank off the rest. It was a PITA job to do, but good once done.

Thanks mate ;)

I think the biggest PITA (apart from the L piece falling apart half way through) is going to be getting the engine cover to fit back on of the cans been fitted :sadlike:

I did a catch can for Nick4501 and he wanted his engine cover fitting back on too, I trimmed the side of it down with a grinder and a dremel, and managed to get both engine cover parts back on and sitting properly, and it looked totally OEM under the bonnet. it's possible, but takes time and patience!

personally, I've not had engine covers on either of mine for AGES!