Reesy's Big Turbo A3

Reesy

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
A few people have been pestering me fora while, so here goes.

I had an 'X' reg 1.8TQS that I bought in July '10.

It had over 5k's worth of receipts and when it departed me, had only done 84k, around 9-10k of which were done by me. It also had some performance/braking/I.C.E/visual mods.

In it's prime it looked like this.
5416557156_78e0b12b1d_z.jpg

5415958017_9f4235a47e_z.jpg

11 months of changes passed including the best visual mod available to an a3 (imo):

Photo0028.html
5786042760_1cd9c04b80_z.jpg

It ended up like this:

6433521007_96a692166f_z.jpg

6433526243_a6a3daa4da_z.jpg

^^^^That's the rear wheel.^^^^

After a meeting with a VW Transporter that was driven by no one. The fella didn't apply hishandbrake properly. The transporter ended up like this.

6419776365_7a3a262d0b_z.jpg

Car was written off due to the panel damage and this which could only be seen when it was on the recovery lorry (or with the wheel off)

6417848121_f431b431b7_z.jpg

I then found another TQS, after realising I was going to get stung for the best part of 3k for s3insurance. I didn't want one the same colour, but it meant I could keep my boot spoiler, and the colour is easy to keep clean

Not many pics of when I got it, as it was about as exciting as a rainy November weekend in Hull.

6319650237_bb870e04b5_z.jpg

6320264214_9dabbe9f01_z.jpg

6371160311_4044954f5a_z.jpg

How it's progressing since I bought it:

Rear leather seats are in to see if I like them, I think I do, so the fronts will be going in soon.
(excuse pony pic)
6405695927_3363db7d9c_z.jpg

I have taken off the Bailey BOV and fitted my 007p.

Had these bad boys fitted from my other one, with the braided lines and DS2500's as well (Brakes not wheels, nothing 'bad man' about them):

6433578937_313289a8be_z.jpg

Removed the 16's and fitted the battered s3 17's for the winter.
Mid flow:
6417849475_ef4227caec_z.jpg

N249 bypass also done by this fella and his mate at a back street garage in Hertford:
6388406449_64f2c12db7_z.jpg

The sign is just an illusion, apparently his back door is always open. :lmfao:

Can't think of anything else at the moment that has been done, apart from this:
6343221139_0a5d29eaec_z.jpg

Very near future plans are:

Cambelt (this one has done 100k!!!)
Get the 256mm rear brake setup that I have sat in my shed on to the car.
Get R32 RARB out of shed and on to car
Get Quick rack fitted
Leather
Boot with spoiler
Zorst
Remap swapped over from old car

Last edited:
Your making some good progress reesy.

Nice one reesy.
Choppy choppy on the seats mate. :)
No choppy of the seats, but I might try and get them fitted this weekend, as the weather is meant to be rubbish, so I won't be doing a lot else.
Your making some good progress reesy.
Thanks Sandra. It'll get there eventually, but by that time, I'll probably be the last 8L owner on the planet :(

Forgot about this. Update time:
Car is booked in to have the cv gaitor noise sorted on Thursday.
Finally getting the cambelt sorted on Sat.
Off to Freds to fit the cat back, r32 rarb and 256mm s3 brakes the following Friday. Might even pop in a boost gauge if I can find one at a reasonable price.

Some more boring news.

Car was making a horrible noise, and the cv gaitor was split. Swapped a driveshaft over, and all is now well.

Cambelt is being done tomorrow, as well as that my 3" cat back is going on and hopefully a remap before it gets dark. Tomorrow should be very productive, and leave me with a healthier, better sounding and quicker car.

No, but they were changed in the not too distant past on that side ( I think).

Yesterday was a very productive day.
Went to get the cambelt, waterpump etc changed, and whilst up there fitted my 3" scorpion cat-back exhaust, and the rear bumper from the older car.
Confirmed that the cambelt setup was definitely original and bearing in mind when I pulled into the garage the car was on 100,622 miles, I think it was more then a bit overdue.
Waterpump had seen better days:
6491667915_0e58782175.jpg
6491667509_f0385c210d.jpg

After a bit of fiddling the cat back was on as well. Started the car which was now burbling nicely with the bigger exhaust back on it, added the necessary coolant, went and got cheese burgers and after demolishing the food the first part of the day was done. All the work was done by 'Jay A3's brother, and if anyone is around London area looking for a garage I'd highly recommend them.

Part 2 was a trip to 'Beachbuggy's to get the remap copied from my old ecu on to my new one. After convincing Jay to tag along, we cruised down there, with a lot of revving from me (just to make sure the exhaust was o.k :lmfao: ) and a lot of fuel used.. Met up with beachbuggy, and he got straight to work copying the remap and de immobilizing the ECU . Got the map copied on, took it for a blast and the power was much more familiar :D Had a chat with him about his turbo projects and I will be keeping a close eye on what happens.

Driving home, heard a loud bang and thought I had blown the car up :(. Luckily thanks to Jay's expert torch holding skills, found a hose had popped off and that was all that was causing the lumpy idol and funky noise on revs.. A cable tie later and it was all good. Got home after making the familiar trip to the local shell garage and was still smiling and revving as I pulled up.
A very productive day.

Last edited:
Brilliant news mate. Any love for the car yet?

A little now. Despite the fact it's drizzling outside, I might even give the outside a quick wash.. Or just take it for a thrashing down the bypass.

Once the ARB, breaks and boost gauge are fitted on Friday you'll love it.

It's slowly getting there now. I took for granted this cat back on the other one, because it was on there when I bought it, but having had the stock one, and then put this on, the sound is much better. Car will be nice and warm by the time I get to yours, so I'll wait for your judgement. Jay seemed to like it, as when I revved it under a tunnel with a nice bit of echo, he flipped the middle finger at me out of his window.

Gauge vent has arrived, and bushes and arb are already here, just waiting on the gauge and extra silicone hose now.

Finally my torch handling skills came in use! It's was indeed a productively day for you! I will also be keeping an eye on beach buggys turbo progress. Happy u got your car running well... Sounded nice too. You just need to wash it now!

Finally my torch handling skills came in use! It's was indeed a productively day for you! I will also be keeping an eye on beach buggys turbo progress. Happy u got your car running well... Sounded nice too. You just need to wash it now!

Thanks for yesterday mate, hope I didn't get you in to too much trouble!

I don't know what you're talking about, the rear bumper was washed yesterday :lmfao:

Thanks for yesterday mate, hope I didn't get you in to too much trouble!

I don't know what you're talking about, the rear bumper was washed yesterday :lmfao:

Yea only the rear bumper! Get it Washed and polished mate

Nice one Reesy mate.

I thought you said this was a slow progress thread?

I'm hoping it won't be, but I thought I'd put the warning in there in case things do get slower..

He's playing catchup to the level his old car was at. Expect the progress to slow once he gets there!

This one is pretty much passed the other one already in terms of mods, it's just the bodywork and interior condition that are a bit lacking.

A definitive list of what is happening to the car on Friday's lnm session:

R32 RARB. This will have poly bushes as well.
S3 Rear Brake Set up.
Vent gauge pod and noost gauge fitted.
Haldex oil and filter changed.
Injectors and FPR ultrasonically cleaned.

Then take the car for a spin to do some: VCDS G/S logging-brake testing-arb testing-ford ka slaying.

Do you have the Ford Ka lined up ready for its slaying?

LNM FTW!

LNM FTW indeed mate.

Yes I have a Ka lined up already, and I'm just waiting for my Citroen C3 slayer certificate to come through the post, so I become a certified C3 slayer and can update my profile accordingly.

If any one is interested, here we go again:
Firstly a random pic that I took last on my phone of the skinny old exhaust pipe:
6527821055_be738d69d5.jpg
and one from yesterday that half shows the newer one
6527826111_79789bbfa4.jpg
and also shows the Haldex oil and filter being changed.
That was the first job upon arrival at the LNM garage. I have no pics of the Haldex tool, but imagine the grim reapers scythe with the end of a spanner stuck on it.
Up next was to fit this bad boy, an R32 rear arb:
6527823799_c916999bb3.jpg

Luckily, no need to drop the exhaust on my car although the pass side upper bolts were a bit of a pain
6527830721_cae5d746b2.jpg

Old vs newer:
6527828539_6c85f0b61f.jpg

I won't bore you with any pics of the droplink bolts etc.. Next up was attempting to fit the 256mm rear brakes and the rear splash guard needs to be removed. Assessing the situation(excuse pony iPhone pics):
6527891739_e34171979e.jpg

6527892331_39dc21a203.jpg

Enter the lnm dremel and let the sparks commence:
6527835419_bebf741a23.jpg

6527892657_2c9912949d_z.jpg

Brake dust seals weren't in great condition, so they have been put on the back burner until the new year.

Injectors and FPR cleaned:

Before -
6527892969_b3b9284e33_z.jpg

Ghandi's bath water -
6527837501_b17f3c94ac_z.jpg

A pic of the garage owners s3 next to a denim blue/brown a3:

6527843559_c751a54ff4_z.jpg

And the last pic, one of jay's contributions to the evening:
6527840057_ba3c59e650_z.jpg

Having done about 130 miles with the arb fitted, all I can say is wow. In terms of changing the cars performance, it does for handling what the remap does for power. FPR and injector clean has just smoothed out the car a bit, definitely noticeable as well.

3 downsides to yesterday:
1. Gauge didn't arrive in time so it didn't get fitted.
2. Brakes didn't get fitted
3. Car only made 205.8 bhp going on the VCDS g/s reading, at around 20.2psi.

Note to everyone, need more power.

Nice work lads.

Did I read that the brakes need some work?
Shall I expect a delivery?

Did jay do any work or just stand around eating crisps again?

Nice work lads.

Did I read that the brakes need some work?
Shall I expect a delivery?

Did jay do any work or just stand around eating crisps again?
I thought you had said that you don't do single pot brakes as they are not fancy enough, so I sent them off with Jay to his bro's garageto see what they can do with them.

Jay was getting involved this time, I think he caught the lnm bug.

With regards to the power issue, i'll fit my k&n or a Jetex in jan and see if that makes any difference and possibly look at getting this map tweaked slightly in February some time.

I'm off, got a tailgate to fit.

I thought you had said that you don't do single pot brakes as they are not fancy enough, so I sent them off with Jay to his bro's garageto see what they can do with them.

Jay was getting involved this time, I think he caught the lnm bug.

With regards to the power issue, i'll fit my k&n or a Jetex in jan and see if that makes any difference and possibly look at getting this map tweaked slightly in February some time.

I'm off, got a tailgate to fit.

And the seats ***!!

True, I did say that and its not as much fun but I dont really mind doing them if helps any one out.
I got enough time on my hands at the moment. :)